Too much light! can't focus. Is that a thing?

I’ve had a little search in the forum and there’s not much on this.

Story goes:

It is a stunning day here in my home town.
Not a cloud in the sky. Full on bright Aussie sun.
So so bright.

But I find that I can’t active focus as well as in slighly dimmer conditions.
When I’m in the shade, looking out to the very bright distance it is great.
Ever so slightly overcast or a smattering or clouds it is great.
But full sun I seem to not do as great.
It also looks like my CM measurements confirm this.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

3 Likes

Yes…after 4-5 months of monsoons last year, my vision fared better in cloudy conditions than under the bright summer/ winter sun.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand your question. But if I do maybe it is time to consider test driving your next normz in these great lighting conditions for an hour or 2 a day.

Sure. I have the same. If you have slightly sensitive eyes, too much light makes you squint and cannot relax into AF

4 Likes

In my case I think there’s a “ciliary spasm” thing for light, or maybe it is just another symptom of the same ciliary spasm. If I get accustomed to low light conditions (especially a dark winter, which, actually, usually translates to a lot of close-up activities), spring and summer brightness can take a long time to accommodate to. Generally takes an hour or so of being lowkey photophobic before I can start focusing again. Once I do, I think those very bright days are extremely good for improvement, but since the brightness difference between indoors and outdoors in this season is so big, the longer you spend in good light, the better. (though I don’t particularly recommend going under the midday sun once it gets too hot!)

I actually think we talked about it somewhere in the forum, sometime last year.

edit: ah yes we did, somewhere around here.

4 Likes

I’m reading a bunch of Ophthalmology and Vision Therapy texts right now. One recurring theme (especially in vision therapy) is that you can train up all of these different visual systems to get them working properly, just like you can train your muscles in the gym.

Nowadays people spend a lot of time indoors and on screens and in “crappy indoor lighting”. So your pupils over time get stuck with a limited range of motion in where they’ve adjusted to your screen brightness and the indoor lights, and most people never really get out and walk around for a couple of hours in just the moonlight or starlight. Here in New York City it never really gets completely dark because there are streetlights on every corner, lighted signs, etc. So as a city kid you’re pretty much always in “medium brightness”.

If you lived a more primitive life somewhere you’d get lots of bright sunlight during the day, and lots of darkness at night, and your pupils would go through their whole range of motion from very-low-light conditions to bright sunshine.

I’m a big fan of sunglasses, as a practical matter I’d just use them especially in Australia (aren’t you guys right under a giant hole in the ozone layer?) But if you wanted to get better with your naked eyes under the bright sun you could ease into it, maybe practice without sunglasses for a minute or two each day, and gradually ease into it.

In harsh outdoor sunlight your pupils have to contract all the way and stay there, which is probably hard to do if you’re not used to it or haven’t done it often. The farmer does it all the time. I would guess that he’s likely to get cataracts when he gets old though.

4 Likes

Same here, I’m afraid.

The sun can be so harsh that you simply cannot look far, not even in sunglasses, the blinding type. That can only be solved by giving in to siesta. There’s a reason why it was invented… Option B is to wear a hat with a really wide brim all over (baseball cap is not enough) with or without sunglasses.

If it is bright and you can see well and it’s just the thousands of extra lux giving you full clarity then just enjoy. Select a pair of glasses that give you 20/25 indoors that becomes 20/13 outdoors.
Or as @Lloydmom suggested you could introduce your next norms as peak vision glasses if you insist on AF.

1 Like

@Lloydmom

Something like this.
@BiancaK I think you may be right. Like a hat may make the equivalent conditions.
I hadn’t thought of that.
A hat or sunglasses! :sweat_smile:
I’m not really a hat or sunglasses person…or a sunscreen person.
Stupid cosidering I live in Aus. @nycmao :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I think thats a good way of putting it.
I can’t relax my eyes enough to get AF.

I think you’re in a part of the world where hats and sunscreen or clothes that keep you from getting too much sun are a very good idea. I’ve read the locals used some kind of paints or oils which provided some sun protection.

Aussies 100 years ago
Herbert-Basedow-historical-aboriginal-images-196

Lawrence of Arabia
Ljidda

Inuit snow goggles
440px-Inuit_snow_goggles

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/photokeratitis-snow-blindness

https://www.nei.nih.gov/about/news-and-events/news/new-research-sheds-light-how-uv-rays-may-contribute-cataract

https://wiki.cancer.org.au/skincancerstats/UV_radiation

You’ve probably been getting UV protection from your glasses or contacts, if you are now able to ditch them altogether and go out in the sun a lot more I think you should probably figure out some kind of sun-protection.

4 Likes

eep

1 Like

I prefer hats mostly, so I can take my shade with me. Though I am looking forward to regular sunglasses as an option one day.

Yeah… def should sort something there.

3 Likes