Try this to relax your ciliary muscle

Hi everyone,

I have been experimenting with the tool below and i find that it helps me see more clearly.
I wanted to share this and get feedback from you guys if it helps you too.

How i use the tool:
The tool is located here: http://jsfiddle.net/gux73b5d/7/
Enlarge the part that has the moving letters in it so it will fill as much screen area possible
While i am using my differential glasses, doing computer work, i keep a browser tab open with this tool running. Every now and then i follow the moving letters and try to get them to focus using active focus and blinking.

At first when i used this tool it made my eyes hurt a bit.
I have been using it for a few days now and already seeing improvement in my cm measurements and visual acuity.

Please send your feedback, it is interesting to know if it helps more people.
You can also tweak it if you know some html/css/javascript.

Enjoy

7 Likes

This seems interesting. Just a few questions:

How exactly is the tool supposed to be used? Just look at the red moving letters and keep them in focus?

And what about the non-moving letters? What are they for? At first I thought I should look at the static letters and follow the moving ones with my periphery vision…

Thanks in advance!

I added the static letters to encourage using peripheral vision, but i don’t think the peripheral vision is what causing my ciliary to relax.
It is only a speculation, but I think it is something related to movement, that sends the right signals to the brain to desperately try put things into focus.
You can ignore the static letters.

http://fiddle.jshell.net/gux73b5d/7/show/ shows the part in full window mode.

1 Like

How can I increase frame rate to reduce motion blur?

1 Like

This seems like eye excercises - nice if you can find the time, but one of the main points of the EM method is to try and improve habbits not to add extra tasks to your day :smiley: but yeah, if you can fit it in, nice one :slight_smile:

the question is: is this time better spent than looking out of the window every 10 minutes to relax your eyes?

2 Likes

I am not sure how…
If this works for a bunch of people, maybe someone would build an improved tool :blush:

I agree with you that habits are more important than tools, and that you should study the endmyopia method and follow it.
But if you can spend a few minutes a day and it improves your progress, than why not do it?

I also try to move a lot when looking outside practicing AF.
A good way to do that is swing in a hammock or swing while staring at distant objects

1 Like

It reminds me of an Arkanoid game :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My whole workweek is doomed now… :angry:

2 Likes

Don’t remind me of these things, I’ll end up playing Chrono Trigger (snes, my all time fav.) for the 10th time…

5 Likes

Interesting tool, thanks for posting. I felt muscle stimulation in the eyes within 30 seconds of following the letters.

But I have some doubts that it addresses ciliary spasm specifically. Check out this quote from @halmadavid (TV and Ciliary Spasm)

I think that the main reason of ciliary spasm is not distance, but not changing the focus plane. That’s why non-screen close-up activity is not as bad for the eyes and “distance” screen activity is not as good for the eyes as they should based solely on distance.

I think what he’s saying is that keeping a fixed distance from the object locks the ciliary into spasm. Sideways movement of the eyes (as in your tool) would stimulate other muscles in the eye but not, it seems, the ciliary specifically, which responds to changes in distance (focal plane). Of course you could initiate AF yourself (as you suggest), but the fixed distance to the screen is still sending the same signal to the brain that keeps the ciliary fixed in position for that particular focal distance.

1 Like

I think the kind of tool we might need is a mechanical one that moves the computer screen (or the chair) forward and back to vary the focal plane while we work. Or maybe we can make a back and forth swaying motion while sitting at the computer. I have no idea how effective such a thing would be (in addition to looking a bit silly). Come to think of it though, it might have some posture benefits too. It’s similar to the Jewish practice of “shuckling” while praying, which is said to have concentration benefits and give the body exercise.

In my case (-0.25 differential lenses) swaying about 25 cm back and forth in front of the screen causes a noticeable change in blur level.

1 Like

I had an idea - what if you look at the screen at a side angle so that as the letters are moving left or right they are also moving away closer or farther? :thinking:

1 Like

Great idea. Worth trying.