TV Time: Turn On Those Subtitles!

From the Last Diopter Course

Let’s have a flowing beard read you a bed time story, aka a lesson from the latest unfinished project, the Last Diopter Course:

If you’re anything like me, you like to shut your brain off for a few hours before bed.

Maybe not. Maybe you’re in a phase of reading before bed, or doing tons of late night work. One of the challenges with making a course like this, having to make plenty of assumptions.

For today’s lesson, let’s assume you like to be online in the evening.

One big thing I had done that really helped me with the last diopter, is shave off as much close, close time (like the iPad / phone close) as possible. We’ll talk about a few of these ideas over the course of this course (heh). Some of them you might already be doing, and other could be a new useful tweak.

Today’s rather simple tweak: TV rather than iPad.

The name of the game is 6 meter / 20 feet distance, or closer to it, more often. So you could watch YouTube for 4 hours at night, killing your attention span and patience in the process (along more importantly with your 20/20 gains opportunity). Or you could buy a massive TV, set it up as far as possible, turn on subtitles, and watch a movie at night.

Subtitles is my secret sauce, here.

There are charts online that will tell you what TV size is ideal for any given distance. I’ve found that in general you can go over a bit on the size (maybe by one increment of TV). Also quite like the site rtings.com if you want to get fully nerdy about TV options.

Then, start building a habit migrating away from the laptop / iPad / phone for evening media consumption.

It helped me quite a bit to re-establish some of my attention span / calm by not watching four hundred tiny YouTube clips (that could be just me, though a common occurrence conversation with fellow students). Not that you need that for eyesight, but worth knowing that you may be tweaking other parts of your screen-tweaker life a bit, towards a more positive set of habits.

And of course, sub titles. Turn on English subtitles. Make a habit of reading them, ideally having a bit of blur challenge in a (possibly) dark room. That’s two hours at a nice distance at least, and continuous light active focus challenge.

As with everything, don’t overdo. The name of the game always, small tweaks.

And if this isn’t you, not to worry. Plenty more options to come in the course!

And yes (and also no, depending on the question) it’s one of the courses not generally advertised, promoted, or sold on endmyopia.

All still in the process of being test monkey-ed by an initial student group. As usual these things take me a year or two, to at least get semi usable and only mildly embarrassing with spelling and grammar and general oopsies.

:grimacing::+1:t2:

Subtitles!

10 Likes

I always watch with subtitles! Used to drive my husband crazy!! But a few years ago he stopped turning them off every time he watches lol
Look at all those lessons! That course seems to be coming right along then :smiley:

3 Likes

I do the same. My wife got annoyed at it initially but doesn’t say anything anymore. We also have a 5-year-old, so subtitles are a good way to exercise her reading skills.

1 Like

:joy: I have a truly giant pile of notes from all the last diopter adventures. Been telling myself that people can figure that one out on their own, after all you’re at a place where glasses can be pretty optional.

Enough years go on though with all the inbound questions …

2 Likes

I have been using subtitles for many years- because actors do not enunciate as they did decades ago.

1 Like