Understanding my prescription

So I’m just trying to deconstruct my prescription, because their is sphere cylinder and axis

What does that all mean?
Jake and many others say do active focus .25 diopters below your prescription that way their is a little bit of blur…
I am sure their is also a topic on equalizing but how do I do that?

So my prescription is OD -1.75 cylinder -1.25 with an axis of 110 OS -1.50 CYLINDER -1.25 AXIS 73

Sometimes when you’ve been around for a while on here, you forget how steep the learning curve can be. I did not know these things when starting, either. But please, understand that it is exhausting to answer the same basic question a hundred times when you could easily google that. Or search the blog, or youtube, or the wiki. You can find the answer literally everywhere.

For your question, sphere is the lens strength for your myopia/near-sightedness. Cylinder is the strength for your astigmatism, and the axis is about where on the lens it is corrected for.
Read more on the wiki: https://wiki.endmyopia.org/wiki/Astigmatism
Or watch Gemily’s nice summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAyobmi1AvQ

And I would strongly encourage you to go through the wiki and the youtube videos (Jake’s of course, but the very practical videos of other students as well). People on this forum are very nice and sometimes take the time to answer basic questions (God knows I’ve asked a few of them myself), but that is out of generosity, as there should be some prerequisites to the discussions on here. Just the basics. Everyone is allowed to make mistakes, but not to be too lazy.

6 Likes

Ok so when I am getting glasses that are slightly lower than my prescription. I have watched majority Jake’s video’s. I am ordering new glasses with a lower prescription. Should Iower the sphere and Cylander by .25?

You do not reduce axis. It’s simply the angle of your astigmatism. It could possibly change, it is not reduced though.

You will find plenty discussion about reducing cylinder, which is correction for your astigmatism.

1 Like

Should I reduce the cylander and the sphere the same?

Recommended path is reduce sphere a couple times before addressing cylinder.

1 Like

Ok. I don’t have that much of a - for the cylander. my hight eye sphere is a little stronger than my left eye sphere. Should I be reducing them equally? For example -1.75 reduced to -1.50 and left -1.50 to -1.25. Then just keep reducing -.25 until my left eye doesn’t need it. Or should I try to get my left and right eye the same. Going from -1.75 to 1.50 in my right and keeping my left the same at -1.50.

Why? is it to isolate your issues. For whatever reason my cylinder is the same for both eyes. if I am going slow -.25 diopters every month . What is the harm in lowering the cylinder too?

You are free to try. This advice’s purpose is to save you the time of trying out what many others have tried and has not worked out for them. But there’s nothing like building your own experience.

There’s a bit of a longer answer here: https://endmyopia.org/why-not-reduce-a-little-cyl-with-each-sph/

Just a search function away, funnily enough.

4 Likes

Hey Salt,
So I know we say go .25 reduction at a time. In my case for whatever reason the sphere my left eye isn’t as strong. Would it like mess everything up if I made the reduction all the same? In other words in my right eye I would go -.50 less than my current prescription and do -0.25 in my left. That would make everything = or In other words -1.25 on my right and -1.25 on my left. I would leave my cylinder the same which is -1.25.

I think your questions will be more in context if you really DO read all there is on reductions and astigmatism here.

You want to search for "astigmatism reduction’, ‘prescription complexity’ ’ differentials with astigmatism’ ‘first reductions’ and that will lead you to more terms you’d need to search.

Good luck

3 Likes

What are often viewed as strict EM ‘rules’ here are just guidelines based on the experiences of many, many other participants. You’ve got to play with this a bit because your own experience will never be an exact duplicate of someone else’s.

You aren’t going to mess anything up by experimenting, any more than the ‘professionals’ who got you here to begin with, right?

Don’t be fearful. Be bold. Experiment. Make mistakes. Enjoy becoming more acquainted with your eyes and taking control of your own destiny. You will figure it out.

This is your personal, wonderful journey and we are all here for moral support.

Best of luck.

5 Likes

I guess to ask my question better can i reduce my right eye 0.50 and my left eye reduction 0.25? Professional optometrist do the same type of testing that a person at home can do. It’s the same scientific method. I think i’m going to try and do 0.50 increase in my right and 0.25 in my left… I say reduction because I am reducing my prescription, but I am starting from a negative so technically I am adding 0.25.

The point is you can do whatever you want. EM is here to give information and show you a working model of application of that information. At the days end though you make the decision (hopefully well informed) of how to proceed. And always be accountable, if your move is working great! if not, backtrack and try again.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you saw that. I just wanted to know if their are any risks in doing that?

Not really, you might drop $ on a pair of glasses that don’t agree with you. The worst that can happen is you refuse to accept it isn’t working and let one eye get lazy. As long as you keep yourself in check, and be mindful about it, it shouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like

I need 2 glasses and it turns out to be $25 per glasses. That doesn’t include what the insurance is going to cover. So defiantly not expensive.

So do you mean by this?

1 Like

One eye does more work. This is natural, “ocular dominance”. But if there is too much challenge for the non-dominate eye, the visual cortex can begin discounting it. It might be fine. Or you might have to do a fair bit of patching for a while.
Maybe this can help… https://youtu.be/VCafQB4O5f4
Forgive me it’s a bit rough as far as instructional videos go, but if it helps… I’m glad :smiley:

Ok I watched the video on patching… I should be doing this in addition to active focus right?

Yes, but only intermittently to make sure the one eye is getting proper stimulus and doesn’t get left behind. No need to overdo it, all you want to do is ensure your visual cortex understands that eye’s feedback is relevant.

1 Like