User fields discussion

Ok @jakey, just tested out the user field feature as seen above and in the signup prompt here:

Nothing has changed about the forum yet, this was a test. I’m thinking ‘Normalized’, ‘Differential(s?)’, ‘Original starting point’ fields. It looks quite cool on a profile as seen above.

There needs to be a standard format. OD (od CYL)/OS (os cyl) looks good, nobody cares about axis. I think a fourth field like ‘anything else about eyes’ could be there too for people with 10 diopters worth of prism or strabismus.

Something tells me these shouldn’t be searchable fields? Or should they so people can find people who have diopters similar to them :thinking:

5 Likes

Not you?!!! :grimacing:

I wouldn’t put extra fields into sign-up ideally. Most annoying thing to me is trying to sign up to stuff and having to fill out 400 fields of stuff. Also ‘normalized’ may or may not be confusing to some, maybe they just started out and don’t wear them yet, etc.

I’m not saying don’t do it / something, just maybe a bit more thought on where what might go?

4 Likes

Discourse doesn’t offer a way not to put it into the sign up form :frowning:

WAIT. We can use css to hide that. Yes we can do this

Or just write “(optional)” next to the label :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

We’re going into so much detail to explain the format it definitely looks like a mess in the signup form

1 Like

Yeah… we must hide it then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not bad

5 Likes

Yeah, something similar was in my mind, I like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any more ideas for fields? Starting point, norms, diffs and extra misc eye details are currently in.

I don’t think we need more. For more details I think people can use their “blog” topics or if they really want to add any additional they can use the “about me”. This way the profile tooltip contains the most important information: where are the given user exactly at (and from where they achieved that).

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I thought :slight_smile:

Thats a cool idea… very nice.:smiley:

1 Like

I suggested this to Jake like 6 months ago realizing naturally he had too much on his plate and it wasn’t likely to go anywhere… But I thought it would be nice I am always loosing track of who started where and how far they have come and I hate to keep asking, or scrolling just to forget it all over again. I should have thought to throw it your way @NottNott good job thinking of it @halmadavid

7 Likes

Probably the profile picture or about me tab would be a good place for it. Some forums use signature lines for each post but that seems kind of excessive.

Maybe just a couple of optional fields in the about me section for people who like to share their starting prescription and current status.

@NottNott

2 Likes

I like this though the diffs is arbitrary. I probably would sub that out for something like time in method, since time on forum is not necessarily a reflection on that; or else eliminate it altogether. Another substitute suggestion would be true myopia level, normz can get arbitrary too and that could maybe be a subtle reminder that you are where you are, over reducing is not productive…

1 Like

The system is in place atm @nycmao, there’s no way to add this to pfp or move its current position basically.

I disagree, what diffs someone is wearing is a common question. Personally I don’t quote true myopia value but norms myself, my true myopia is effectively 0.25 above this.

Ofc welcome to suggestions/more input on where we should go with all of this. Maybe a ‘last eye test’ field too

2 Likes

If so, we need “I have no idea” as an option.

4 Likes

Just don’t fill out the field

I suppose, but it requires more context IMO for example one might be confused to find out that my diffs are .75 less than my normz and after my next normz reduction they will only be .5 less but in the context that I use the computer at 110cm give or take it makes sense. This is what I meant by arbitrary.

As it should be and same… but not the case for all

1 Like

Well, theoretically we could add usual distance (in cm) for close-up, we could add “true full correction”, when did you started the journey, when you reduced to your current normalized and differentials, what is your peak correction, and so on. But then we have information bloat.

My initial idea would have been simply to easily check what glasses that person wears now, and not a “progress report”.