Using two screens at different distances. Good idea?

When I’m on my pc I will sometimes have the TV on in the background. If I swap focus between pc and TV it seems like my eyes get less strained than when simply focusing on just the pc.

Why not use both a normal monitor (near) and a TV (far) as a dual-screen setup on the pc?

Would it be better to simply just use the TV and not the monitor? My guess is no, as I think it’s beneficial to change focus frequently.

What do you think?

Depends. Do the glasses you use give a blur challenge for the PC? If so I see no problem. However, if you can see the TV clearly (either with AF or without), then the PC screen is too close and will thus hamper progress (as you accommodate to see it clearly).

1 Like

My son has good vision and uses a TV as a second monitor. I measured his normal set-up at 70cm to laptop and 3m to TV. Works great for him and I explained to him the benefit of dual focal planes.

I don’t see this being a great option for EM students. 70cm is too close for norms, and 3m is too far for diffs. That’s my take.

@halmadavid we talked about this in another thread. I finally measured.

1 Like

@Hoofjr My main interest in this setup is to reduce eye strain in general which should also help progress. I’ll put both the screens at distances that slightly challenge my eyes.

@Kevin.L Glad to hear you think there’s a benefit to dual focal planes. I guess the reason is just that the eyes get to move around a bit instead of staying at same “distance”?
I’m about -1 on both eyes. Without glasses I use my pc monitor at 50-60 cm and I expect to use a 65" TV at about 2 m distance.

1 Like

An option would be if you don’t use the screens not simultaneous, but switch between them. So you use the close screen for half hour with differentials, then switch glasses and use the far screen half hour with normalized. Though because you still use a fixed focal plane at a given distance, most likely breaks still will be needed for improvements. So not sure how beneficial this setup would be. Of course it can be useful for low myopes who are beyond the 70 cm edge of blur, if the 3m screen would be usable for them without glasses.

1 Like

If it’s just to reduce eye strain, and not to reduce myopia, then my recommendation is to use an in-between glasses.

Back when I first attempted to reduce my myopia (in 2002 or so), I learned all about the ciliary muscle and closeup causing myopia. Since then I’ve owned PC glasses, about 1 diopter weaker than my full prescription. That places the focus distance about 30cm behind the PC screen (without active focus).

This nearly completely eliminated most of the headaches I had at the time.

For years I’d have the TV behind the PC screen about 3-4 meters away so I could watch both. The pc glasses were strong enough to see the TV well enough, and weak enough to keep eye strain away for the monitor. In this way my eyes were stable for 15 years prior to my current myopia reduction attempt, and I was relatively headache free, compared to before then.

So of the goal is to reduce eye strain, your setup is great, just use a prescription that puts the relaxed eye focal plane behind the monitor 30-50cm or so. If, however, the goal is myopia reduction, my original comments stand :slight_smile:

2 Likes