Very interesting discovery related to Active Focus

I’m still quite a newbie, and can’t confirm that I found Active Focus just yet, but something very interesting and exciting happened today.

I was reading the post about resolving double vision, since I was confused about whether I was successfully doing active focus or not because of the lurking double vision.

The post suggested “yawning” while visually focusing.

So, I yawned… And WOW, almost immediately, I got slightly teary-eyed and the blurry word in front of my eyes cleared. When the clear vision subsided after a few moments, I tried again, and the sharp focus happened again! When the clear vision came and went, I tried again. I tried about 10 times, and all 10 times, the words cleared up, but now my face looks like I cried relentlessly after having watched a sad scene.

The point is, this fascinating experience recalled to my mind all these people trying to describe AF by saying “relax the eyes”.

Yawning seems to automatically ‘relax’ the eyes.

I’m still a bit confused on what to make of these experiences, if all these teary-eyed “clear flashes” are active focus or not, but if it is, then today was a successful day.

3 Likes

It affects the eyes, but I am not sure that relax is the right word. It is most likely to have effects on the extra-ocular muscles and possibly other changes in the brain. This has led me down a fascination rabbit hole - thanks.

Of course it could also simply be the extra tear fluid caused by yawning.

1 Like

This is something that i had been doing for a while , treating it much like progressive muscle relaxation. Yawning for five seconds, and then relaxing my face and eyes as much as possible.
It seemed to work as a quicker alternative to looking up down left ect… if you are having trouble getting active focus in swinging is another good activity to try. learning to get it in naturally from blinking is something you will want to aim for however.

1 Like

If these are ‘artificial’ yawns, they might not have all the same effects as natural ones. But I am sure it relaxes all kinds of muscles. The facial part of the yoga lion posture probably has similar effects.

Never thought about it but it makes sense. Yawning affects the balance of the sympathetic and parasympathetic system - which is what controls the ciliary muscle.

During the initial phase of the yawn, the sympathetic nervous system gets inhibited, and then in the exhale it gets activated.

The ciliary muscle is dually innervated by the autonomic nervous system. Parasympathetic stimulation activates the muscle for contraction, whereas sympathetic innervation likely has an inhibitory effect that is a function of the level of parasympathetic activity.

(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9781437719260100037)

So my guess would be yawn -> sympathetic nervous system activation -> relaxation of the ciliary muscle -> better distance vision.

Yes, it does, but this still leaves us with the problem of whether the ciliary muscles can relax further than their maximal state of relaxation and thereby increase distance to blur. As with most physical phenomena, there are probably several factors at play. The forceful eye closure during yawning might put unusual pressure on the eyeballs, and so change them for a short while. Unusual activation of the EOMs could do the same, with an effect especially on the corneas, flattening them temporarily.

1 Like

When I yawn, my vision goes only blurrier.

1 Like

That is very interesting indeed! I wonder if this, also, is the reason people notice their vision is worse when they are stressed.
Personally, my distance vision has been quite consistent in the past months regardless of how much close-up I have (or maybe I just lack proper self-awareness). But as far as I’m concerned, it’s my close-up vision (as in, how well I see my computer screen) that is sometimes great and sometimes not so great.

Yawning totally makes things clearer for me, regardless of tear fluid. (though yes, yawning often triggers a bit of tear fluid)
However, cutting onions does not make my vision clearer, so I believe the tears are only a by-product of whatever helps me focus better, rather than actually what helps me focus better.

1 Like

We could do a group onion-cutting and vision experiment, but I will not participate, as I no longer have onions in the house. But I have noticed that when I walk in cold weather, my eyes water a little and that does seem to improve vision.

1 Like

Eye improvement videos from India often recommend keeping water in your mouth. I guess that’s the same: relaxing your jaw. Sometimes I blow air around in my mouth really hard from left to right while walking. Two effects I noticed: strange looks from other people, but also eyesight changes.
Ear, neck, jaw massage often have similar effects.

That’s a nice one to add to the repetoire of animal faces. :smile:

I wonder if trumpeters are less prone to myopia. But they may get astigmatism if they always have to share a music stand in the same direction.