Visual Active Focus Guide

Eileah over in the FB group posted a nice little illustrated active focus guide: https://web.facebook.com/groups/endmyopia/permalink/1246436878883045/

16 Likes

What is described in the first few frames is pupil action. The blur ball’s size is dominated by the pupil opening or aperture. The shrinkage is your pupil adjusting from no light when your eyes are closed, to some light. This response seems tuned to the center of your view because if you look away into darkness then look back, the pupil responds to little light in the middle of view back to more due to staring at the light. Any effect of active focus on the ball’s size to to active focus is minor and hard to distinguish from the pupil’s action.

For extra credit, the pattern you see is your cornea/lens. Half blink and you can see the line of tear fluid left behind.

The giveaway that this size change isn’t due to focus is the pattern doesn’t change in size, its only cropped away by the pupil. Focus change will grow or shrink the whole pattern.

Out of focus images of point lights are fun to play with IMO :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, you are right about the initial shrinkage being due to the pupil. But one should experience a fluctuation of sizes quite rapidly without looking away from the light, not attributed to the pupil (although I guess you could make the argument of attentiveness to the light). However, I think it’s much more likely that if you’re able to keep the light small you are learning to accommodate to compensate for the possible pupils dilation from adaptation to that light stimulus. Pupil constiction works with how the lens changes. The reason I included this bit in that graphic is due to the fact that the same thing should happen using dark mode. Keep eyes closed, then open them and you should see the white text shrink. If you use your differential glasses, you should see the text shrink and get clear. The pupil is probably playing a major role in how people use active focus on regular black text on white background as well as other things since most learn to achieve it after relaxing and gently blinking. I’d like to think of it as the pupil kicking the ciliary’s butt into gear. Of course this is just speculation from what I’ve gathered. But it’s how I found active focus as well as one other person who described looking at a moon and finding it that way (which is what inspired this post). I hope it helps people become more observant and aware of their visual system. =)

3 Likes

Definitely good points there. It doesn’t much matter, main goal is to get people to realize that their eyes will attempt to refocus somewhat blurred objects.

How you get there, ideally you already know (people who never worse glasses usually do). Or a blink and refocus is all it takes. But for some, more exploring scenarios is needed for them to get that “aha moment”. I post as many varied experiences as possible, to reduce the “I tried but never found active focus” incidences. :wink:

2 Likes

Up to stage C, not further.
Does not work for me, too.