Was it totally clear all the time before your reduction?

I think I might be more than halfway to the point I can make my normalized reduction, but I’m not experiencing stable vision…I’m getting fluctuations, and it seems like I have to use AF in order to accommodate a bit in order to clear distance.

I noticed it while driving today. Instead of my eyes relaxing into clear distance focus, it seemed like I had to semi-effortfully invoke a bit of extra accommodative convergence while actively focusing in order to clear the distance view distance fully.

I made my differential reduction about a week ago, and the new differentials are definitely better and more comfortable on the computer. With them, I can relax into semi clear focus. The vision with the older/stronger ones was about the same, but there was more strain with them, and it’s gone now after reducing. I’m thinking that maybe in 8 weeks or so, I might be ready for a normalized reduction.

It’s been a really long haul…I’ve been using this normalized power for about a year now. (It’s an equalization step, and my more myopic eye isn’t ready to reduce yet, but it seems like the other eye might be almost ready.)

Has anyone else had unstable vision as you get closer to the point of being able to reduce? Most of the stories I hear are of constant, sharp vision as you near that point, but I’m not sure if my eyes work that way.

Or does the unstable vision mean I’m a long way away from being able to reduce, still? I don’t often get that bitingly-sharp, “HD” – overcorrected-like vision (where you can see all the pixels on the computer screen or details in faraway objects and everything is super contrasty). Is that what I should have all the time before reducing? Or can you be successful and reduce while maintaining slightly lower (20/40 to 20/20 binocular versus 20/15 to 20/20 monocular) acuity?

As I understand Jake (also see other coments below) what matters is if you have double vision or not. It’s fine to make reductions from 20/30 to 20/30 if you are fine with that amount of blur. But if you still experience double vision, then you should not reduce yet. Also if you do reduce and realize that now you have double vision, then no problem, but you should note that it was maybe a bit too fast reduction and you should expect a longer time until the next.

By the way I’m in a similar phase as you: one eye is 20/20 for a long time, other still cannot catch up, having the current normalized for more than a half year now. I’m also still having double vision in the weaker eye (not in the stronger anymore). Currently I’m experimenting with putting back a glasses 0.25 stronger to add a bit more clarity stimulus for the weaker eye for a short walk, or for a whole day (so there is no focal plane change during the day). I’m only doing it for 2 weeks, so cannot comment on the result yet.

2 Likes

David,

Thanks. No double vision with glasses. Just intermittent blur in the right eye. I rarely get any doubling if any. I’m hoping the blur will happen less often over the coming weeks. I can’t really seem to ever sustain 20/20+ vision for periods of time…it’s always fleeting, probably due to my tendency to over-accommodate (very common in people with a history of correction for myopia).

As soon as I can get glasses with 0.12 D increments (might be a few years until I can find someone able and willing to make them), I’m going to un-equalize and go back to a slightly stronger correction in the right eye. But I will never go back to a 0.25D difference…it’s just too much difference for me these days. (I already did that experiment a while back.) For now, I guess the right eye will lag a bit due to equalized lenses.

I think minor astigmatism in the right eye, created over the past year, is what is slowing me down.

Hoping to be able to reduce my distance glasses (for everything except driving) before July. If it works, and there is only very slight blur after that, I’ll consider it a victory and confirmation that this method works.

1 Like

i will only reduce when my weaker eye catches up (so it sees as clearly as the other one). i am waiting for that too as i am equalizing

Been experiencing similar challenges with my weaker, left eye. Been using normalized for a month plus. Right eye is getting AF although inconsistently. May have reduced too much. Will give it more time and practice. But glad you brought this up!

I realized I’ve been overconverging lately, and probably moreso with the right eye than the left. I relaxed the convergence when I woke up today. The vision in the right eye got a little clearer.

As an experiment, I decided to try the -3.50 glasses (what I plan to use as my reduction) briefly. Looking out the window at distance for a few seconds, it was pretty clear…not a real lot of blur. But the cool thing is that for that brief moment I tried them, the right eye (the one that’s lagging lately) was actually sharper than the left through them…like 20/20 sharp. Now, I know that won’t last, but it’s still a good sign, even if only brief.

So I was right, I’m almost at the point of being able to reduce the normalized.

What I may do, is to start implementing the reduced pair for a few minutes at the beginning of each day, and then gradually increase the time over the next month or two.

This all tells me I need to be careful and work on relaxing the convergence over this period of time. If I do, I’ll be able to accept the reduction easier. If I don’t, I’ll be in danger of increasing my myopia with the present normalized, which is starting to feel a little strong at times.

Maybe the gradual method (gradually phasing in the normalized reduction that follows a previous equalization step) is a good idea for people facing this type of intermittent esophoria at distance in the lagging eye. I’ll have to see how it goes over the coming weeks and months.

My right eye wants to go back to overconverging already as I type this. I’m trying to fight it.

TL/DR: The lagging eye seems to be lagging due to increased convergence in that eye, which then stimulates more accommodation. I need to reduce the intermittent overconvergence (esophoric tendency) in order to be able to reduce and see semi-clearly in both eyes.

So, if you’re facing increased blur after using a given normalized for a while (especially following an equalization), and after a long time using that normaized, you are like, “Why is my vision getting worse all of a sudden?”, you may be overconverging. I mean, I was driving, concentrating hard, and it kept getting more blurry, like the eyes were fatiguing. I’ve never had that happen with this normalized before, in an entire year.

I then tried the next, reduced normalized briefly, and it was pretty clear, especially in the lagging eye.

I’ll know for sure in a few months if this was truly a sign that I should consider reducing. But it makes sense. And maybe I’m not the first person.

But I have a feeling this is probably the very situation that got me into unequal lenses in the first place a long time ago. And by equalizing, I rediscovered the tendency. Same thing, but in reverse.

1 Like