Wasted 4 months..Starting again

I was wearing -3.25 in both eyes which was a bit too undercorrected.I should have listened to Jake.I thought my eyes will improve fast.But even after 4 months,there was no result.I dedicated my 1st month with lots of active focus.But then I got tired since there was lot of blur and I got headaches…

So yesterday I increased the power by 0.25… Now I feel relaxed as the world is more clear.There is little blur now.
I decided not to use differentials.Just using normalized.Is it ok? Bcoz I always try to release my ciliary spasm by looking at distance.

I often get mad at myself bcoz I am expecting magical results in just 2 days.That’s bcoz I am afraid that I won’t improve.

I shoul be patient, right?

Sometimes even though I seem to see clearly with my norms,when I measure my cm there’s no improvement.It’s just the same.

Anyways,I am starting again after 4 months.I understood my mistake.

Any advice would be helpful…

3 Likes

Seems odd. Why would you not require close-up lenses for when you are at the computer? It’s important to get good close-up habits.

1 Like

Do that again :wink:

3 Likes

Does that mean I won’t improve without diffs.
I remove my glasses when looking up close.
I take breaks,look at the distance…
Differentials are used to release ciliary spasm… Am I right?And to stop the progression of myopia…

When I AF with norms,my ciliary gets relaxed…
Also,I don’t think my father will allow me to get diffs.That’s why.But is it really important to get diffs?

Yess…Started again🙂

At -3.25 that’s about 30cm. Somewhat an uncomfortable distance for me.
Typically people want to be able to sit 50-70cm from the screen.

3 Likes

Yea, the concerns are to get differentials. How about for laptop use, being at that range. Its just too much blur. A comfortable distance would be 60-70cm away. I came from your diopter range about 2 years ago. I understamd the frustration at first you just say just get yourself closer. After a few mins, there’s strain and looking at just google maps the text doesn’t focus. Then there’s strain and you get tired. Now around 2 diopter without cilary spasm is more bearable I would say but just to say its better to be relax so you don’t get yourself too tired to pracice for distance vision.

I understand.But it is recommended that first we should wear differentials for 4-6 weeks.So now as I am using normz first,is it okay if I get diffs and use it now?

Yes gaurav, i would still advise and recommend to get differentials. Your eyes will feel more relax, and won’t feel that tired to go outdoors and work on distance vision towards the end of the day. Being at the stage where on gd days I don’t need my differentials, I still opt for them except for very short browsing. It still helps, waiting for the day like the rest where its clear enough on the laptop all the time.

2 Likes

Typically you start by getting a pair of differentials first, you wear it for 4-6 weeks and then you drop from full opto corrections to get your first normalised. Then when everything is clear again, you drop from diffs again, then norms again, etc… So you keep wearing your differentials for close up work all the way until you reach about -2D with the normalised.
The rule of thumb is to have 1.5D less between full opto prescription and differentials. For some people it is a bit less (1 or 1.25), for some it is a bit more (1.75 or 2). It depends a lot on your eyes and your preferred distance to monitor.
If I remember correctly, your father is not convinced about EM and is not planning to support you with differentials. If this is still a case, for close up I’d try to alternate between 2 things:

1. wear you weakest glasses from the opto and move the monitor as far away as possible. At about 90cms. To create a tiny blur but not more or you won’t be able to hold this distance for the whole time of studying. If you have a laptop, get a separate keyboard so you can do this - also gives you a better posture.
  2. with about -3.25 your distance to blur is max 30 cms. Try if you can increase the font size on the screen to one that you can read at about 50 cms without correction. Not “just be able to figure out”, but use as your standard font size for studying hours. This is not an EM recommendation but a workaround. If you can’t find such a font size at the very minimum of 45 cms then it is not a solution. Below 45cms you miss too much of the peripheral vision and you strain your eyes by completely zooming in to the screen only. Above 45 cms you maintain peripheral vision and you have small movements of the eye for the things around you even if you are unaware and this can help improvement.

What you are aiming for is definitely less blur than you can see on line “FOCUS 2”. And you should be able to clear it to 4 just by awareness without any special efforts.

6 Likes

No offence Bianca your tips are gd. I have done that before, wouldn’t recommend it as the reading just a line of text or two focusing each time rather than being able to find other portions of text at the same time. Also Sometimes the text doesn’t appear fully in a sentence like a ciliary spasm lock up can be frustrating. As i’m typing now without glasses, can see the three screens with decent clarity but the idea is not slowing gaurav down and less straining on the eyes working longer on the task at hand. Yea, I agree on the 90cm comfortable distance.

1 Like

Thanks for adding your thoughts on it. I won’t disagree.

From an earlier discussion at the end of last year I learnt that guarav12 is a 16 year old student and can only get glasses if paid for by his father. And differentials were not approved for…
So his current situation means that he has slightly under prescribed opto glasses (sort of equivalent to normalised) only. And he mentioned in this thread that he removed his glasses completely when doing close up - which with his myopia means max 30cms from screen. I think that is really bad.
Differentials are an important step in EM, I’m fully aware, but I was trying to brainstorm on options to achieve improvement without them somehow…
I know that having a desktop monitor (separate from laptop, good sized and around 22") and slightly enlarging the text can work to compensate to a certain degree. But you are right, if the zooming in meant that only a very small part of the text was on the monitor then it would not be a good solution.

Thank you so much for your help.Actually,when I was wearing my -3.25 norms…I was tired of doing AF with them.But I was afraid ask my father to change it.So I wore them for 4 months.After that I told my father to accompany me to the optic shop.He said me that from now you yourself can go and buy glasses.I was happy to hear that.

So yeah…I can get them now…
But I am not understanding how much should be the power of my first diffs.
I measured the distance today…I don’t know which is the comfortable distance I work at.

What was the power of your first diffs? I did the mistake of choosing the wrong normalized glasses…I don’t want to do it again.

1 Like

Thank you…Yes I am going to get them tomorrow.:blush:

Glad to hear about the change.
Note that even friendly optos have some reluctance to help with differentials though…
But let’s think about an optimal situation where the opto assists you with getting EM style differentials.

So what is your most common close up situation?
Do you study from home plus games and internet surfing? Then it is the screen.
Or do you have live classes so you look at the board meters away, at the textbook, write in a notebook and then head over to the screen and play games / surf the internet.
In the first case it’s relatively easy to find the right differentials. To max the opportunity you should choose glasses that give you clarity at about 55cms. When I say clarity I mean tiny blur that you can clear all day long without exhausting your eyes or brain. All screen not just certain areas or a few words at a time. Start from there and work until your differentials give you clarity at 90cms and then you can drop. This way you may get away with less pairs of differentials.
In the second case it is a bit more complex to establish what to use for close up “training”. Though may still be the screen.
So what are your typical close up habits? How many hours do you spend in front of the screen vs. reading physical books or textbooks or writing by hand?

P.S. Have you noticed I haven’t mentioned phones as you simply should minimise any smart phone screen time to close to zero!

I don’t use my laptop much.But I need my phone and books most of the time.If you are telling me to limit my phone time then I will transfer all my study material into the laptop.

But I need to study from the books too.So how can I know what my diffs are?

Thank You…

If you are reading or watching anything on your phone’s screen (even if school related) then yes, that should be transferred to a bigger screen. No matter what glasses you wear, phone’s screen should not be used for reading longer text or watching any videos. In an ideal world the phone is used for audio materials and you look at it to start the next listening (that doesn’t need following on the screen), and you start or receive calls on your phone, or drop short important texts (like you’ll be late or you are on the train we’ll be at the meeting point within 30 minutes, etc). But for chatting back and forth it is recommended to move to the PC version of the app to do it on a bigger screen from a bigger distance. Staring at the screen with bent neck at less than arm’s length is THE EYE KILLER. Sorry.

What is your distance to blur (cm to first blur without corrections)? And what is the max comfortable distance from the books you can achieve with glasses on? With screens we set it between 50 and 90 cms. With books I would set it a bit shorter. For screens the rule of thumb is to drop 1.5D from the full opto correction. For books that are closer than the screens, I would say it would be closer to dropping 2D from the full opto correction.

The easiest way would be to go to a shop where they sell reading glasses. Put +1.5D in front of your glasses and test if you can read text at what would be your “book distance”. Then try +2D and check if that is still OK.
Basically what you are trying to achieve is the following:
Full opto corrections give you full clarity to infinity or at least 8 metres.
When you are introducing differentials, you are trying to find the lowest glasses that still give you clarity at your typical close up distance. Which is between 50 and 90 cms with a screen and most probably between 45 and 50 cms only with books that you are holding or have in front of you on the desk.

I started from -2.25 and -2.00.
If you enter this distance to the calculator, you’ll see that gives you max 47 cms in one eye and max 53 cms in the other eye from the text without glasses. So my first differentials were zero, and I started from an average 50cms from the screen that I gradually increased to 90 cms. When my distance from the screen was 50cms, I wore -2.00D corrections for distance. Which is exactly the +2D difference I mentioned above. (When my distance increased to 90 cms my corrections for distance changed to -1.00D as per the calculator)
So assuming your distance corrections are now at -3.50(?), I would reduce them by about 2D to get to a pair of glasses that you can use for textbooks when held in your hand comfortably or when on the desk in front of you. But you have to know that because this is calibrated to book-distance, you will be only at about 50cms from the screen in them. But that is OK, as long as you spend less time in front of the screen than in front of your books.

So you will have a full opto prescription that gives you clarity any time anywhere (is this -3.50?).
A slightly reduced pair of glasses as your normalised that give you clarity most of the time but you may have to work a bit to achieve that clarity. (is that your -3.25?)
A pair of differentials used at your typical reading distance (-3.50 + 2 = -1.50).
Please adjust the diopters if I got the starting prescription incorrect.

You are just slightly above a sweet spot of being able to read books without glasses at a comfortable distance. As your vision improves, soon you can forget the glasses when reading books, you can use the same differentials for screen time gradually increasing the distance from the initial 50cm to 90cms, and parallel to that you should see improvement with your distance vision - everything getting super clear all the time, disturbingly clear, indicating it is time to drop.

Hope it makes sense.
Unfortunately, as much as I’d like to give better advice, at the end of the day it will be your eyes and brain deciding what is good, what is tolerable, etc. As you can see in others’ journals, sometimes it takes trial and error to get to the right correction… So all above is based on general observations and averages.
Best of luck with the opto. Be prepared that you may get a push back on a pair of -1.50 to be used for reading textbook…

1 Like

I don’t know how to thank you.

I measured the comfortable distance from my laptop which is between 55cm-60cm(-1.75D)

Which means…3.50-1.75= -1.75D.

Most of the study notes are now in my laptop.So yeah,for 4-6 weeks,I will only use laptop.I will limit my phone time as much as possible.I will give this diffs a try.

Thank You so much.

Are you back to 20/20?If not,what correction are you wearing?

Please note that most probably your arms or desk will be at a shorter distance. Hence my recommendation maybe to slightly be more aggressive and do +2D. Otherwise you might have too much correction for book distance. Just an idea