Watery eyes when doing closeups (reading/writing)

Why Watery and tired eyes when doing closeup ( reading or writing) for who are low myopic. Won’t they be doing closeup with ease and have problems with distant ( feeling more strain)??? Any suggestions??

I mostly get watery eyes when I use my phone because i’m a high myope and I noticed that I tend to blink lesser with closeups. That and having a source of light and heat near my eyes lessens the amount of tear fluid in my eyes and they sting more often. I can prevent that with good habits of staying a little bit more away from the screen while blinking more often. For tired eyes, I think that’s from having your ciliary muscle fixed on a certain plane for a long period of time. Along with that, it’s also possible to be doing more effort to stare at the same plane for longer duration than normal, which just result to more unnecessary strain = tiring your eyes.
As long as you are at the edge of blur during closeups, and having habits of looking at random distant objects from time to time, the watering and tiring of the eyes should lessen.

1 Like

As long as you are at the edge of blur during closeups,

Being low myopic edge of blur is at far distance and works great when reading, but when my son has to write at school in his notebook it is bit hard to achieve,but he does practice safe distance when writing like not leaning on table or using his hand to rest his face, or too close to the book etc…

and having habits of looking at random distant objects from time to time, the watering and tiring of the eyes should lessen.

I also thought that Having eyes at the same plane for longer xould be the cause, thanks for mentioning that. I have explained it to him that when he is writing for longer period of time remember to take break and look away for 20 secs and continue what he was doing.

We were not doing any closeups at home so I didn’t mention about 20 20 20 rule, but as now the schools are back he should practice this habit too.

1 Like

Yes, habits are where it’s at! That’s how I became myopic in the first place and I still have lots of bad habits to change! If your son is still young, he may be able to use plus-lenses during closeup, as discussed in other topics. Do read on those if are interested in researching about that. :slight_smile:

1 Like