What happens when you Active Focus? Vid from Gemily

Awesome and detailed summary of many theories on this forum. @gemilymez is awesome!!

(@halmadavid @Iceghoull @miffiffi)

14 Likes

You are a brave woman, Gem. A great job of summarising the hypotheses that have been proposed.

4 Likes

Wow - I am honoured that you felt it worth making a post on, @Nottnott!
I am sure there are theories I have missed. And Yahia has already pointed out that it is the medial rectus muscle, not the median - oops! (Yahia has unlocked a new acheivement: actually helpful feedback! Haha).

@Ursa? Brave for tackling the topic? Brave for risking Jake’s wrath for going off-brand and bringing extraocular muscles into it? Brave for making a thumbnail for the videos where my eyes are literally red from too much computer work and heating? :laughing:

Should we be tagging @hoofjr too? Also, I really hope you say it “Hoof Junior”. My only other option was “hooojkjhdjagsjhdfgv”, which I felt was unlikely.

7 Likes

Brave on all accounts.
:heart:
:+1:
:smile:

1 Like

The word “hypotheses” is a hard one to say right several times in a row :smile:

1 Like

@gemilymez - Well done!! :clap: Explained and summarized in a clear way! :medal_sports:
Also like the credits you give to several Meow guys! Good ‘gem’ you found, @NottNott !

3 Likes

@gemilymez I’m glad you found my hypothesis interesting :slight_smile: There was so few responses in the topic that I thought people just closed it when they saw how long it was :sweat_smile:

Btw. just a tiny small detail: there are no muscles in the finger :slight_smile: Only tendons, the muscles which moving them are all in the forearm:

Btw. I’m still unable to get anything from magic pictures with one eye :thinking: I suspect that because they are essentially just distorted images one may see these distortions with one eye and can guess some objects… but I cannot image how it can works for complex objects. You had success with complex objects (like the toucan) too? Or just small forms like waves?

3 Likes

My lack of response was due to it being a very new idea, that I had not thought about very much. No long post will put me off if it raises an interesting point.

2 Likes

Oh bother! :woman_facepalming: Haha. I did consider using my arm as an example, but it was harder to fit on screen. Thanks for that. I also named it “median rectus” muscle when it is actually “medial rectus” muscle. Obvsiously I need more study on anatomy.

At first I didn’t dive too much into your hypothesis, @halmadavid, because I felt it was so over my head. And I’m only hear for fixing my vision, not studying science :slight_smile:
But when I decided to sit down and take the time to push information into my brain, it was mind blowing! :exploding_head: It definitely deserves more attention, even if it is only something to be aware of. Actually got me more excited about the science and anatomy side of these facially-embedded orbs.

When I look at something like the toucan, I can see things like where the wing is.

Yeah, I thought it was necessary to credit the thinkers behind them, although I am ready to go back and blur out any tag if people are uncomfortable. I don’t imagine they will be, but you never know.

The amount of times I said “theories” when I actually ought to have been saying “hypotheses” makes me a bit sad, but oh well. At least it was simpler!

4 Likes

I have always been more excited about this than just fixing my vision. I didn’t find EM because I was looking to fix my vision - it was serendipity. I love the fact that it seems to be doing so, but I need something to keep me amused while I patiently wait for further improvement. Talking reduced lenses, AF, norms and diffs, cms, Snellen, etc. is not enough to keep me on board.

3 Likes

@gemilymez You can diverge with one eye. View the image below with one open closed and the other open, look at the middle, either the track or the building and you can follow the tracks along and you see down both tracks together.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s diverging. It’s simply where you put your attention. It’s only a visual cortex thing, not eyeball “mechanics” thing.

2 Likes

The two tracks diverge, but not your one eye - how could it?

2 Likes

I take your point, @halmadavid and @Ursa, and you’re right.

Having said that, the picture @Viceroy.Sam put up does give a similar sensation in my eye/brain.
Maybe it is this brain divergencey thing/ FOCUS divergence that is helping me perceive certain points of the stereograms with one eye closed?

Hmm… yes, it isn’t divergence of the eyes using extraocular muscles, but I am going to ponder and play with this focus divergence thing… Will be good when I get my next normalised in a few days, as my vision in this pair is almost too good for active focus.

Also, you are right that most hand control comes from the extrinsic muscles in the forearm, but there are intrinsic muscles in the hand! It what allows us to grasp objects (i.e using our thumb and little finger to come towards one another) :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Are you serious?

Serious and also a play on words. Regardless of where you fix your focus on the picture, if the picture remains at the same viewing distance, no convergence or divergence is needed, whether you are looking at it with one eye or both.

If you were looking at this scene in real life, either with one eye or both, you would accommodate and converge/diverge when shifting focus from near to far. This seems to happen even with one eye closed, as the eyes are yoked. It is easy to notice the movement of the EOMs involved, and by pressing lightly on the closed eye I can even feel the ciliary muscle change in it. But it still needs two eyes to converge/diverge. I have known some one-eyed people and I am pretty sure they cannot do so.

After experimenting I found out I can diverge one eye while the other stays looking forward. If you look at your finger, then diverge your eyes, but you keep focused on one the images as it splits into double vision, one eye will diverge while the other stays still. Weird!

1 Like

I can do that too, but it requires an effort of will. Convergeance and divergence are not as strongly yoked as the parallel eye movements (when there is no strabismus) but the default is to converge/diverge according to distance of focus. I find it quite strange that my left eye with a far point of 20cm joins in the vergeance movements of my right eye which has a far point of 100cm, although it can contribute no acuity at that distance. This is uncorrected.

I am still intrigued about what happens in the visual cortex when accommodation and vergeance are disconnected in the myopic state. This is what I was trying to get at in my post on when is close vision not close vision.

2 Likes

That’s not diverging. That simply looking to a direction. You cannot diverge with one eye, by definition. What we are talking about is if you can clap with one hand. You cannot do not because you are not flexible enough or you don’t have some muscle, or for some mechanical reason. You cannot clap with one hand because the definition of clapping is that you hit both of your palms. The same way the definiton of divergion is that how the two eye move related to each other:

To look at an object closer by, the eyes rotate towards each other (convergence), while for an object farther away they rotate away from each other (divergence)

With one eye you can talk about what direction it looks, but you cannot talk about how it moves related to the other eye because there is no other eye.

1 Like