What OTHER activities do you wear differentials for?

Honestly, I feel like this is a dumb question but for months, I’ve been wearing my differentials for the obvious things, like reading books, computer use, things like that. My question is, when doing activities/chores you do at an arms length away, such as washing dishes, doing laundry, chopping veggies, etc. do you wear your differentials? Or is it ok not to switch to differential glasses and just wear normalized for these types of things?

1 Like

Yes. If it’s not a fixed distance for a long time, normalized are fine.

2 Likes

In the past I used to switch normalised/differentials a lot however for over a year now I wear my differential(-1.5 in both eyes) most of the time when indoors. Cooking, washing, on the computer and almost everything else around the house except sleeping.

3 Likes

Do you also do the 20-20-20 rule? I’m kind of scared to do this because my differentials are -2 diopters and I’m worried about blur adaptation.

I use them when I practice instruments, specifically guzheng (chinese zither).

1 Like

Using the EM calculator
-2.00D = 47 to 53cm
-1.75D = 53 to 61.5cm
-1.50 = 61.5 to 72.8cm
-1.25D = 72.8 to 88.9cm
-1.00D = 89 to 113.9cm
-0.75D = 114 to 159cm
-0.50D = 160 to 266cm
-0.25D = 267 to 800cm
-0.00D = 800cm and above

So you can see clearly up to about 50cms which can be just a slightly bit shorter distance than things in your hands. So they are within clarity or just at the border or slightly outside. If you find yourself leaning closer to things examining them then wear your normalised. If you don’t feel you are missing out on important details (e.g. dishes stay dirty, picking up sugar instead of salt) then wearing your differentials is OK, especially if you feel your normalise give you too sharp images straining your eyes.
When you are outdoors, wear your normalised and make sure they give you clarity, that will prevent blur adaptation. Blur adaptation is when you forget what clarity is and you accept that 20/30 or worse is the best you can get… If you watch TV (big screen at proper distance) make sure you recognise the faces and follow the facial expressions as well as the subtitles (most probably that will mean wearing your normalised). In short, if the blur is very noticeable in mid distance then wear your normalised. For things at arm’s length, i.e within your distance to blur, you can wear your differentials without blur adaptation.
Check in with your eyes regularly to see if they get strain by too much correction or by too little corrections.

6 Likes

Ohh, that’s good to know also. I play guitar and almost never use my normalized unless I’m reading sheet music so it’s a good thing to keep in mind

1 Like

What is this 20/20/20 rule I’ve never heard of?!

This is a topic I’ve wondered about too. I often wander around in my differentials as I break up my WFH computer time with chores like dishes and laundry. They’re pretty blurry in general but fine for the arms-length stuff (and certainly more than enough to keep me from walking into walls, although I did recently reach down to pick up a litlte pouf of shedded cat hair off the floor only to realize it was the pattern on my rug :rofl:).

2 Likes

The cat hair keeps your awareness and saves you from blur adaptation :rofl:

https://wiki.endmyopia.org/wiki/20-20-20_rule

2 Likes