What would you do after a 20/33 opto confirmation?

So I had this confirmation from the opto that my vision is now better than 20/40 and there is no need to wear glasses unless it’s night time driving and I’m tired.
It is 20/33 to be precise which is just a bit more than what gets converted to -0.5D. This is equivalent to being able to read number plates 20m away (at about 5 cars’ distance)

If it was you, what would you do now?
I’ll tell you what I did but I’m curious to know what others think about the next steps in this situation.

5 Likes

Keep doing what you’re doing wearing glasses at night or every now and then for stimulation

2 Likes

Realistically, if I got down to -0.50 I’d probably never wear them except for driving or occasional distance needs and be thrilled.

2 Likes

What you’ve been doing has been working great, first of all, so more of that…

You’re already in “legal to drive without glasses” territory at least in the USA, and you’re not in danger of your eyes falling apart from high myopia, so now it’s just all personal choice. For me, stopping with eyes being “almost but not quite all the way there” would be very frustrating, and the journey for constant improvement is kind of fun. It’s basically a game you can play anywhere, trying to focus on something, see a little bit better. Since you use your eyes all the time you might as well try to get them as close to perfect as you can get. So to the extent that you enjoy it and you are having fun, might as well try to “max out” your vision.

If, on the other hand, you’re sick of looking at the eye chart and tired of constantly checking things and thinking about your next reduction or new and diabolical ways to tweak out a little more performance… then it wouldn’t be crazy to “declare victory” and just try not to do anything that’s going to make it worse.

So for me it would just come down to “am I enjoying this and making progress” or “have I achieved what I set out to do and are there other more interesting things I want to focus on in my life that I care more about?”

For me it’s still fun. I feel like I’m learning new things all the time. Might as well see how far I can push the limits. If it became a chore or felt like a constant source of aggravation and worry I would just take a break for a while and find a new hobby.

But that wasn’t REALLY the answer you wanted. I know secretly you want the same things well all want, nano-coatings and 670 nm LED lights and eye-vitamins and prism bars and vision therapy software and fMRI scans and regular trips to @Varakari to try out the IOLmaster…

2 Likes

I would keep going till I was 20/20. Possibly introduce plus lenses.

2 Likes

I would start practicing ARCHERY (bullseye).

2 Likes

I would celebrate!!!

3 Likes

When I get to this point I expect I will similarly wear correction at night and on days my vision was not as good. I will still wear correction often enough to keep the visual cortex clear on what is clear (so to speak) and I will almost certainly still wear correction to drive in even on sunny days, I prefer more of a 20/25 or better for driving, that is not a time for challenge in my vision.

Also 100% this!!

2 Likes

:rofl:

And yeah, celebrate for sure!

2 Likes

I am nearing (within a year) a similar conundrum. My PC glasses are only 0.75D now, so at my current rate of improvement, in a year or less, I will reach something I’ve never had in my career: being able to work sans glasses. And for me since 20/20 will require plus glasses for PC work to avoid regression and eye strain, that means returning to PC glasses if I continue.

So one option is to stop at PC viewing distance, and continue to wear minus lenses for distance. That would result in the least glasses wearing vs 20/20 for me.

Of course it’s not really a conundrum for me :slight_smile: I don’t mind wearing PC glasses. I want to see distant objects (including stars at dark sites with fully dilated pupils) sharp as heck :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: So no stopping for me.

If it were me, I’d celebrate, then keep going. But then I’m crazy that way!

3 Likes

First of all, thank you for your responses.

I think I celebrated this milestone properly and it was important to do so. It’s so easy to put a tick on a to-do list and move onto a next task. But not with this one!! I drove everyone crazy sharing my new opto confirmed results :yum:

I know that’s the logical next step and I know it works for some. However, I tried 3 times already during my EM journey and I happen to be the EMer who doesn’t benefit from plus lenses at all.

Luckily this is not at all me. I don’t even know the letters on the Snellen by heart. At the beginning of my EM journey I developed the well-known “obsessive number plate reading” syndrome. I even managed to get back from that behaviour to normal casual looking around during my walks.
Never pushed myself more and more for yet another reduction. Never sought for more and more blur again. I still don’t understand these things here on this forum. (:shushing_face: it’s perfectly possible to get back to 20/20 without obsessing over cms or procrastinating about going up and down 0.25D or without calling a “6 or 9 month period with the same corrections” a plateau)
I was the person who was OK getting to 20/15 with the corrections before considering the next drop. My thinking was: “I’ve just worked ahead 0.25 or 0.5D from the next normalised”, so I started from 20/25 after a drop… Thinking about it, because of this habit I actually didn’t even have normalised glasses. I had a tiny bit less than full opto correction, that was all the reduction I made for distance vision.

LOL :rofl: :+1:

So what did I do?

Many of you suggested to do what I had been doing this year leading up to the opto measurement in May already: not wearing glasses except for driving or in the evenings or on days when it was needed. And actually this was what I was planning to do.
But then life happened and I was out and about again more often. And when I’m out and about I don’t want to miss things that are there to be seen. So I did something similar to what @DirkVA is experimenting with in Spain on his hikes.
In the mornings, I selected contacts that gave me immediate 20/13 on a 3m Snellen.
In practice it meant that before leaving home I had a 2-second look at the Snellen to see if I could read 20/20 or only 20/25. If 20/20 I used -0.5D contacts, if 20/25 I used -0.75D contacts. Second 2-second look to confirm 20/13, and out of the house. Spent the day enjoying total clarity all day without trying to bring things into focus etc. (No monitor and minimal smart phone checking for a minute per occasion)

Because myopia is mental, with an opto confirmed “you don’t need glasses” I simply decided that with the extra -0.5D or -0.75D I should see EVERYTHING. I should read signs at double distance to usual, I should read number plates 9 cars away, etc. And it totally worked and I loved it. And because all day was distance vision time my vision was still 20/20 when I removed the contacts in the evening. And actually this 20/20 in the evening felt sharper than the average 20/20 before.
As it seems I’m really closing that final gap between peak vision and worst vision :muscle:

The power of mindset and of proper distance vision time. :relaxed:

6 Likes

Congratulations on the gains and thank you for sharing this valuable tip. Reading your posts makes me glad to have joined the forum (personally it has helped me get out of my casual attitude of 20/20 will happen when it will happen).

As an ex, long time contacts user I miss my contacts so much, especially at the last diopter. Wearing glasses makes me feel wobbly and wonky while walking and the peripheral vision being blocked is irritating. Not to mention, the constant being on guard to ensure no closeup happens accidentally.

The thought of going back to contacts and the risk of corneal thinning scares me.

But… now I’m seriously thinking of it. My tentative POA - go to relatively friendly opthalmologist (garden group acquaintance) and discuss pros and cons of using contacts for some months/ risk of corneal scratches and thinning.

Being outdoors sounds so good, atleast now during the rains. The other day was caught up in a sudden downpour and had a realisation - glasses and rain don’t go well together.

Whenever I read your posts, the thing that strikes me is the practical and relaxed manner in which you have approached your journey. This is the attitude I would like to adopt (atleast) in the final stage of saying goodbye to my myopia as well.

4 Likes