What's Changed About Your "FREE TIME"?

Here’s a curious one:

Teens to late 20’s: Used to read 2-5 books a week. Learned 6 languages. Got a pile of degrees. Got into finance and trading and all kinds of analytical money making. Basically lived in close-up 24/7. Didn’t care about food or health or any of that stuff. Thought anybody into eating vegetables or going to festivals were dirty hippies. And of course no thanks, any psychedelics or taking risks.

Myopia got into the -5 diopter range. And of course, “astigmatism”.

Then started getting into the eyeballs.

Now, 30’s and even 40’s, largely a financial world flunky (no 7 figures a year income), world vagabonding … hippie type. Love paragliding and kitesurfing and one way tickets, no real permanent residence anywhere. Been to Burning Man a few times and tried pretty much all psychedelic substances. Into all kinds of weird random things like spreadsheets of blood panel results and eating once a day and tracking heart rate variability and getting excited about stem cell therapies. A child in Myanmar, getting all excited about digging wells and solar and off-grid. Summers in Eastern Europe. Getting antsy after a few hours of screen time.

Now, 20/20 natural eyeballs.

Is it a myopia reversing thing, over time taking over more and more? Or just coincidental?

Curious what things may have changed in your life, since you started shedding the fake diopters. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Love this. Myopia is both the best and worst thing that has happened to our family. We make sure to spend as much time as possible outside, living life to the fullest. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have two kids, and instead of looking at my smart phone while they use their ipads, we go out to the park. I do some outdoors training or meet other parents, they play around with neighbour kids. Watching kids on swings - great active focus activity :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What the… That was your life Jake? Hahaha, It sounds really interesting. As for me now summer came and shifting habits to swimming pool soon. Let the course finish.

1 Like

Growing up, I spent very little screen/paper time beyond what I had to do for school. I did lots of dance, gymnastics, baton twirling, and loved spending the rest of my free time outside when possible. Currently, I do a lot of rock climbing, hiking, and skiing. While I’m more cognizant about making sure I get outdoor time, I think my increase has been minimal. Perhaps this is partially why I never made it out of “low” territory.

2 Likes

I was outdoors quite a bit as a kid: bike riding, swimming, basketball, running through the sprinklers, general outdoor playing. I have always enjoyed being outside and in southern California there are very few days of the year that would be bad to be outside. I also was not so into books other than what I had to do for school.

Later college, jobs, and the concerns of life and making a living got in the way of outside time or even doing what I wanted to do. I’m sure all of that contributed to me becoming myopic.

As an adult I have made attempts at times to do things like hiking and being outside more. Now, since I have been working on my vision, my wife and I have been more consistent about going hiking, or for walks, or just sitting outside more. I go outside my apartment building and stare down the street or across the street. My neighbors probably think I’ve lost my mind. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I guess endmyopia has encouraged me to take time to enjoy the outdoors more again.

7 Likes

Let’s see. What has changed about my free time? I DON’T HAVE ANY :smiley:

Seriously - as a kid I used to spend most of my free time in close up (obviously). Reading books. Playing the piano. Building model airplanes. Later, Computers.

Now - still tied to the PC since I’m working as a developer. Fortuntely now equipped with the knowledge to not use full correction.

With the family back at home, free time is really limited, but at least spending time with small kids does not mean using screens, thank goodness. When I do have free time, I often still read (print pushing), or watch a movie on TV (12ft away). Overall, I am more aware of what things do to my eyes, but I just couldn’t make such a drastic change and throw away my job to get away from the screens for good (also, I’d probably still use them back home, nerds are hard to separate from computers)

Currently, I am also building a small RC model car, looking forward to using that for active focus on the road outside :slight_smile:

Cheers, Michael

5 Likes

I’ve always been into nerdy, geeky and artsy hobbies, and I’m just in the same boat as Michael, I ended up working in IT and if I don’t play games and read and draw now it’s just because I have no free time anymore :sob:
However, I did learn to enjoy… How can I say… idleness? Like walking in a park or sitting on a bench doing nothing and just looking around, observing nature and people, and relaxing, which is something I never really did, I would always try to find things you keep myself occupied (always close up, of course). I made an habit to spend my lunch break in the park whenever I can and it’s helpful to manage stress, too.

I have picked up other interests after starting my eyesight improvement journey, but not because of my myopia. Mainly kung fu and interest in a spiritual path.
However, while I haven’t started those things thinking about my eyeballs, looking back at all the things I changed in these years, I believe that the moment I discovered that I could be in control of my eyesight sparked a desire to challenge my limits and be in control of my own health, which started a process that later made me analyze and take control of other habits (like horrible sleep patterns and diet), and eventually landed me in a Taiji Quan class because I thought that I didn’t have to be doomed to be in pain by my mid 30s just because doctors told me that it was inevitable with my untreatable scoliosis.

5 Likes

As far as sleep, ever try one of those fitness tracker things?

I bought a Fitbit Alta HR recently and the sleep tracking has been quite enlightening. Like I only get deep sleep if I go to bed early and if I spent time thinking about business before sleep my sleeping heart rate is quite the mess.

3 Likes

Yes, I used plain Sleep as Android at first, but then I bought a MiBand2 because i didn’t like to keep the phone near my head and I’m cheap. Now I use both since SaA has integrated MiBand support recently, but to be honest I’m not really sure about the accuracy, I should probably get something better.
Anyway before I started tracking, I was a mess, like, went to sleep past 1.30 because I was either drawing or playing games and always lose track of time, then wake up at 6.30 everyday and sleep until noon on weekends, I was zombie-tired all the time.
Now I’ve gotten more regular but I still have an hard time getting enough sleep hours in general, because I’m a commuter, waste almost 2hrs a day driving (well, at least it’s all distance vision! :roll_eyes:) and I end up using some evening hours to do chores or watch some movie once in a while. SaA also warns me that I have about an hour and a half of “social jet lag”, that is I tend to wake up an hour and a half later when I have no social obligations to wake earlier. It tells me I should try to keep the same waking time, but I really need those extra hours :sleeping:

1 Like

I used to have that problem, too - but now I have little kids which gives me a reliable wakeup time of around 5:30 :smiley:

2 Likes

My main problem isn’t money but time. I enjoy my job, I work as a doctor and researcher and it’s rewarding and often fun. But a lot of close-up and computer work. I would like to work fewer hours, but that would give me the boring parts of the job, and leave out the fun parts. We have a steady income and no big expenditure, but the career and the fun keeps us in place.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:No free time here too, i’m writing in a car now with normalized!

What languages do you know?

1 Like

I agree with you. I’ve changed a lot in my little spare time. Even in the company, during the lunch break, I no longer surf the internet, but go outside for a 30 minute walk. That was not possible in the past, but now I’ve learned to feel such things as pleasant.
I also looked for a hobby outdoors during the winter - I am now snowboarding. Through all this, I’m still learning to enjoy my life more and consume less. Thanks to Jake and everyone else for that, I just needed the kick. From september of this year I will have a lot more outdoor time because my son will born there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I spend a lot more time outdoors and try to do some active distance focus whenever I think of it. I also try to spend at least 20 minutes a day relaxing on the front porch doing active focus every day when the weather is nice. I use audio books as much as possible. And I have figured out how to have my computer and iPhone read articles to me to try to limit my screen time. I also got a Fitbit Charge HR and it tells me how much sleep I get at night along with what type of sleep. Nice changes!

3 Likes

Totally hooked on the Fitbit. Waiting for the day that blood tests will also work this way, not having to go to the lab and getting drained of gallons of blood. :smiley:

2 Likes

Would you klike to talk more about those Kung Fu and spiritual stuff?

Sure, I got into a kung fu school after my colleague at work suggested it to me. I went there to practice Taiji Quan yang style. I had some brief exposure to that style years before and I liked it, I felt it was beneficial for my back, but I dropped it for time constraints. Now my school is 10 minutes from my workplace so it’s very convenient. I liked the people in the school very much, and and I loved the fact that they teach the actual martial aspect of Taiji Quan which is usually overlooked since most people teach it as exercise for health and not as a full fledged martial art. Then my master also gives teachings of the philosophical and religious aspects behind the arts and they really are interesting. I also practiced some bits of Shaolin style Chan meditation, and lately some Bagua Zhang.
Let me say that practicing was extremely beneficial to my general health, and a confidence booster. Then I found out that my master is also an acupuncturist and chiropractor, he studied at traditional medicine school of Shandong. I’ve been to therapy with him for 9 months now and my posture is noticeably straighter, and I rarely have back and neck pain anymore (and it was an almost daily thing before).

Then, it seems something unrelated but through the kung fu school I ended up meeting someone that teaches traditional hebrew kabbalah, and it was something mindblowing for me. I’m still just a beginner there but I intend to keep on studying it.

5 Likes

We need a whole category of ideas like this. :slight_smile:

I often tell students to research things that they may enjoy, away from screens. Something that replaces parts of the screen addiction, so you don’t end up reaching for that phone when you’re stressed or bored.

You might find all kinds of obscure and fascinating activities and hobbies if you make it part of your lifestyle, hunting for fun things to do.

12 Likes