Who is Alex? (reference: child myopia articles)

Hello, quick question: who is this person ‘Alex’ who is mentioned time and again in a lot of the child myopia progress update articles, such as this one: Child Myopia Recovery: A Success Story (In Progress) ? and what is the program that Alex runs? Seasoned Endmyopia folks probably know this.

3 Likes

Alex was part of Endmyopia before it was Endmyopia, when it was the Frauenfeld Clinic.
He’s now left/retired.

3 Likes

This question has also bothered me a lot when I first found EM! There is absolutely no information about “Alex” on EM, but there are quite a few (very good) articles on the site which were written by him. If you do a Google search the only thing you come up with is that Alex Frauenfeld doen’t exist, and that it was a pseudonym used by a behavioral optometrist. The so called “Frauenfeld Clinic” was supposedly also a complete fiction. And there was even someone who accused this guy of purposefully giving people bad advice that actually ruins their vision, only to sell them an expensive LASIK surgery later on (which I personally don’t believe for an instant).
EndMyopia is usually presented as @jakey 's brainchild and his method. But I don’t think this is true… I have come to believe that this method was actually invented and first put out on the Internet by the mysterious Alex, long before Jake got involved. I could be wrong of course. But if I’m right, I feel that the guy deserves much more credit and gratitude. He should at least be mentioned on the About page of the site and credited as the original inventor of the method (even if he is retired and doesn’t want to be involved anymore). His excellent articles are there for everyone to read and take advantage off, but nowhere is the guy given any credit.
Because of this I had a very hard time trusting Jake and EM for a long time. All of this just smells fishy… I kept asking myself: If everything about the original Frauenfeld Clinic website was fake, the clinic and the man (Alex) himself a complete fiction, then how can I possibly trust any content from that website??? And who is this Jake, and why is he suddenly taking credit for something that was obviously written by another person? And why is he getting away with it? No offense @jakey I’ve come to trust and respect you as the caretaker of this ancient wisdom in the mean time. :smiley: But this really is something that can put people off, if they are naturally curious about the origins and trustworthiness of this method. I eventually decided to give it a try and judge it on it’s merits, but I imagine many people wouldn’t bother after doing some digging in it’s background. And that’s a shame really. So I really think this is something that should be addressed on the EM website. If there was just some background information there about Alex and the Frauenfeld Clinic website it would probably prevent people form digging around in Google and the Wayback machine, and opening that can of worms, in the first place.
Personally I still would like some honest and true information about this topic from the people who were actually involved. Why all the secrecy??? It just doesn’t look good!

3 Likes

Jake talked about it on this forum, multiple times, for example:

There are also some blog post, and it’s even mentioned in one of the podcast (though I don’t remember which one).

2 Likes

I’ve found it, it was an old youtube live:

3 Likes

Personally, Alex’s articles were much more focused and informative than Jake’s.

Not a fan of sarcastic hipster-ism style of blog.

From video: Alex was basically a front for Jake, Alex ends up getting hate for what ultimately Jake was doing, Jake conquers mental myopia and puts himself out there. Then Frauenfeld Clinic renames, and this topic comes up every six months on schedule :grin:

Dude you don’t even do endmyopia

3 Likes

Nowadays, I have correction and visual habits closest to Endmyopia ones. See my reply to elinaur in esophoria and myopia. Or please delete the mention. I can also delete the reply cited.

Stop saying daft stuff and get it right the first time :joy:

1 Like

Thankyou all for your responses.

found this when google searching for Alex Frauenfield : The Frauenfeld Clinic and Alex Frauenfeld Provide Free Eyesight Rehabilitation: Melissa Anderson Press Release
also noticed that the link to fraunfield clinic (http://www.frauenfeldclinic.com/ ) redirects to endmyopia

2 Likes

and then there is this: https://cleareyesight.info/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/Frauenfeld%20Clinic%20in%20Austria%20and%20Alex%20Frauenfeld%20don’t%20exists%20%20By%20Antanas.pdf

anyway, I guess the bottom line is that now there is only Jake :smile:

1 Like

If Jake’s good explanation from the video was a wee bit more visible the cycle will be broken and people can stop getting the tinfoil hats out over this topic. Fair enough to those that do though, I was thinking about it two years ago

2 Likes

It should not be too hard to edit out just that one section and upload somewhere, so at least it can be easily linked (or just create a transcript and give a link to the video).

4 Likes

I still think it should be addressed on the main site, preferably on the About page, where people are most likely to look for it first. A little snippet of video and a few spread out posts on a forrum to which a casual visitor of the site has no access, doesn’t really help. The site should feel open, honest and transparent, so people get the the feeling it’s trustworthy. This omission to mention Alex and the Frauenfeld Clinic right there, where people expect to find this information, kind of undermines it’s credibility IMO.

1 Like

I mean maybe… but I think that it is deliberate to not bring it up, Jake didn’t mean to paint a target on the guy’s back.

IMO it already does feel this way. Most casual visitors aren’t going to care about every piece of back story, they are already on information overload, it wouldn’t stick even if it was there up front.

Disagree, if someone cares enough to look the information is there. I was curious enough to follow the trail at one point too but at the beginning I didn’t really care who wrote the articles, just that I got the answers I was looking for. I think the vast majority of people would feel the same, or they wouldn’t use the wiki, there aren’t signatures on those articles to even indicate in a general way who wrote them. Nobody seems to find them less credible for it.

2 Likes

Alex and the Clinic are just cultural fantasies rooted from the 80s in and around Germany. Jake’s brainchild, too. You can’t give credit to fantasies (a Czechoslovakian and then a BRD TV series and a Swiss hip-hop festival)

3 Likes

Well, I personally had a hard time trusting EM because of this. This may not be the case for you or many other people. But if I felt that way, I’m pretty sure there will also be others like me…

1 Like

I’m not sure I completely understand your comment… :confounded:

Let me assure you, it s not your fault!

Once upon a time (about 20 years ago) there was a stock trader who searched for methods to reverse his own myopia. He was successful at it eventually but he didn’t know if he wanted to turn into an eye guru. Wasn’t sure if anyone believed him and most of all if he wanted to get associated with the whole natural healing world at all. He quite liked his life as it was in those days. So his personality split. While preserving Jake the stock trader, Alex the doctor from the Frauenfeld Clinic was born. Alex started publishing articles and even giving interviews over the phone (no video recordings).
In the meantime, Jake managed to cash out and sort-of retire early. Also figured out the right dosage of Fukitol tablets to no longer care too much about the stock trader image or any images. Consequently the better organised more serious Alex retired, the Clinic disappeared in thin air, and Jake the eye guru appeared publicly and merged the two personalities again.
It was still early days for EM so he just decided not to deal with explanations, he didn’t owe it to anyone anyway. (And he sort of enjoys the mystery created on silly cultural references from his childhood, but not always.)
And Jake being Jake just couldn’t bother working through all the lessons and references in all of the materials. It’s on his list somewhere maybe but has no priority at all. Comes somewhere after rewriting some of the lessons or after creating a dedicated astigmatism course or after receiving a DSc in eye health or after finally really growing a proper length of beard or getting that shrine built for the eye guru. But only if it can be fitted in between 2 kite surfings…

11 Likes