Who wears normalized only?

Hello everyone.

Usually I only wear normalized for everything. I feel when I wear my full prescription it slows down progress and it takes a while to clear up things when I put my normalized back on.

Lately, I don’t know if it’s winter approaching or the duller skies, but I’ve been getting a lot of eye strain with normalized on. On a few occasions this past week I’ve had to start wearing full prescription more than I like. I don’t believe this is due to reducing too quickly. Indoor snellen at 20ft I can clearly see 20/20. Normalized 20/40ish.

3 Likes

me. mostly bc this is what the optometrist gave me and I don’t really have reason to go with full correction as I’m not driving much

2 Likes

Not me. I only wear full prescription for distance vision, I don’t have normalised.
But then I don’t wear corrections up to 6 or 10 metres and have clear vision.
As close up improves gradually there is always a point when the full prescription is just “too much” and then I drop 0.25D

You can easily lose 0.5D vision for these

3 Likes

so basically your normalized is your uncorrected vision congrats on being so close

3 Likes

Interestingly, I’ve never thought of it like that…

2 Likes

Yes, maybe it’s the end of summer that’s affecting my eyes. Hope I don’t lose .5 diopters this winter.

1 Like

My theory is the following: if your vision is the same in April than it was in October it is already an improvement even if you had to step back to higher correction for the winter temporarily. Clearing blur works differently in sunny summer and gloomy winter. Emmetropes drop from 20/20 to 20/30 or 20/40, too, in low light conditions. They are just less obsessed with clearing any blur at any distance :wink:

3 Likes

I only wear full correction for night driving. My normz give me between 20/25 and 20/30 the rest of the time so I wear them for all distance otherwise. But I really wear my diffs the most, I can feel my eye locking up If I wear the normz for the majority if my day to day stuff. Example: cooking if I wear the normz to cook I want to fling them across the room within minutes…
As to the winter vision, hang in there, there isn’t much for it but to press on. I plateaued all of last winter, I am hoping with some supplemental lighting I have in place for this year. It will be better…

4 Likes

Where did you get these numbers? Are they an accepted value or something documented? Is low lighting defined here? I wouldn’t suspect such a large swing.

1 Like

I guess I should have written “white collar workers legally driving without glasses - confirmed by opto”.
My opto says that people who don’t need glasses for driving by the official vision test - but working 8+ hours in front of the screen - by the end of the day may easily lose half a diopter caused by the combination of the tiredness of the visual system + less visibility in low light.
My guests are trained well :sweat_smile: they know they have to test their vision against me on the Snellen when coming to visit. And many of them can’t read 20/20 at my normal living room lights after a working day. If we go to a restaurant, they are not bothered by not seeing the details 2 or 3 tables away, or everywhere in general… (which is a typical EM obsession)
Also the LUX recommendation I shared in the other topic suggests that less light means less visibility, but then you don’t expect a warehouse worker to see the same details on the boxes in the aisles as a person drawing at a well lit desk.

1 Like

This was me in -2 I couldn’t handle the normalized inside.

Because I don’t use the computer hardly at all. I really never wore differentials. And now even to use the computer I don’t need them. At home I am more comfortable taking my glasses off. I am currently stuggling in my current lenses and so I have a hard time making myself wear them at home. I go to do something close like use my phone take them off then go wandering around when I need them because I keep forgetting where I put them.

2 Likes

Man I never thought I could,spend so much time looking for glasses! I spent over two decades with them glued to my face or within feet of me, now I’m always trying to,remember where I left them. And I know it’s going to get worse when I get lower :joy:

3 Likes

Yes I actually almost walk out the house for work without them all the time.

2 Likes

Oh man almost every time I leave the house I have to run back in for my normz cuz I get in my car and go: whoops diffs are not for driving!

4 Likes