Why Active Focus works

Getting active focus seems to be the hardest part of the Endmyopia course. I know that I struggled to get it initially. I think the way not to do it is to try to get it. Forcing the eyes to see is what gets you into myopia in the first place, exacerbated by the curse of corrective lenses. Instead let it happen. The most memorable part of Jake’s advice for me was “contemplate the blur”. Let the eyes look, take in the blur, explore what is in your full range of vision. It’s the movement of the head and the eyes together which brings increasing clarity; initially as “clear flashes”.

Confirmation of this comes from other sources as well as my own experience. There’s an interesting guy called Mark Warren who, starting with what he called “Rocking”, gained clearer flashes which become more permanent through noticing constant oppositional movement in the full range of his vision including the periphery. Another vision practitioner, Nathan Oxenfeld, refers to the “universal swing” in our vision. Confirmation of Jake’s wisdom: other people reaching the same conclusion.

Don’t force it, notice the movement and let your eyes take in what they see.

1 Like

I don’t think Jake will appreciate the comparison with those guys :grimacing: :joy:. But you’re absolutely right that all of them describe somewhat similar methods to achieve moments of increased clarity. Whether you call it a clear flash or active focus is semantics IMHO.
What works very well for me these days, is something another natural vision student told me a while ago and which I hadn’t heard before: simply following power lines against the sky with your eyes. The weird thing is that this doesn’t work for me when the lines are vertical in my field of vision. But when they’re horizontal or at an angle they will almost immediately snap into focus even when I’m not wearing my normalized. Thank you @Mickypenna !

1 Like

What? No way. Most people find it within a month then get good within a few months. It is just the beginning. Getting outside enough and away from screens to practice it enough and fitting it in to your life and then reducing lens power without strain or reducing too much is much harder imo

1 Like

Nathan Oxenfeld is a Bates method instructor. This is how he introduces himself. He was trained for it and now runs his own courses. However, they last 6 months only. I suspect people get their initial -0.75D ciliary spasm release in those 6 months and then it’s up to them to keep improving. He also has a prequalification interview with the people signing up to his course, so I guess he filters students. Just guessing. The cost is between 600 and 1000 dollars, and for this price the students get 6 videos, 6 group lessons and 1 to 6 one-on-one lessons, a copy of Bates’ book and access to his podcast.
Bates invented his method before screen time, especially before smart phone screen time, when people typically stopped at about -2D corrections. So for those circumstances it made sense not to wear glasses but only when they were really necessary. That was similar to wearing no corrections for differentials and glasses for distance. Relaxation always brings gains, and the exercises to work on eye coordination and the exercises for getting back the eye’s range of motion are useful, especially at low myopia.

Mark Warren mixed his method from the currently available best methods but he denies it and actually refers to his sources as inferior methods. He has become famous for the rocking and triangulation, but actually those are not his methods, he is just the loudest promoter of these elements. He also emphasises in his course (I could not resist taking his free course…) that if students make gains it is because of his techniques, if they don’t it is because they are not committed enough with time and efforts. That’s quite a psychological burden on the student, isn’t it?
In short, while a lot of techniques he picked on and now promotes are good, I just don’t like his vibe.

3 Likes

I’m familiar with both gentlemen. I also followed Mark’s free course before I found EM, and watched a lot (if not all) of Nathan’s video’s. Nathan Oxenfeld indeed offers paid courses and individual sessions, but he also provides a lot of free information about the Bates method in videos, podcasts and on his website. I’ve found that information very useful. Like you said, relaxation is always a good thing when it comes to improving eyesight, and I feel that’s what the Bates method is all about. But of course every Bates teacher will tell you that if you really want to improve you should seek personal guidance from a Bates teacher… :wink: Well, they’ve got to make a living after all.

1 Like