Wiki List Of Hobbies 🤯

Somebody posted this over in the Facebook group.

I often advocate for a casual habit of researching things to do with your spare time, so you don’t fall in the default hole of watching Netflix / Youtube / Facebook / whatever-kids-do-these-days.

2 Likes

A good deal of my social media time is on hobby related groups, but it is way too easy to fall into talking about the thing instead of doing it.

If you’re interested in woodworking but think it’s too expensive or fiddly, I recommend Rex Krueger Woodworking for Humans series:

If you get into it, there is a discussion group for his patreons that is very good, mostly beginning woodworkers, a few veterans, but very supportive ones. The “Today I” thread is motivating.

2 Likes

I want to add that any conventional hobby can benefit from being done outside in nature. Ideal lighting and plenty of opportunities to look away at the distance. Reading, writing, painting, recording, … you do not have to be extremely fit and like extreme sports to take your leisure time outside.

Of course, going more outside will get you gradually fitter and maybe interested in more physical hobbies. But my point is, the main goal is to take a first step and spend more time outside; you do not need the perfect hobby for that.

2 Likes

Playing Scrabble outside, which I do about three times a week. While I wait for my friend to find a word, I have plenty of time to look at the open landscape. We both very much prefer being outside than inside, so this will last while the weather does.

Gardening is not available to everyone, but the maintenance of mine requires a good deal of outdoor time.

Drinking tea and chatting with my daughter once a day when she is not in Spain for the winter. We do this outside, either on the terrace or a large covered balcony when it rains. Stunning views from both places, and I can do my distance AF at the same time.

The dog wants his daily walk, which we do in early morning light.

Bird watching, which is now more fun to do since I am starting to be able to identify them with my naked eyes.

I am addicted to good light, so don’t really need an outdoor hobby to tempt me away from the screen. When I converted the barn into a living space I put in as many windows and French doors as was reasonable. My sofa gets natural light from the south, east and west.

3 Likes

Fail. Not distance vision :wink:

You don’t count among the group who needs help here. you grew up before small screens and Internet were a thing so you’re not addicted so much, they’re not part of your growing up world view :wink:

1 Like

That’s very true - excuse me for posting. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

That is still extremely useful insight and a good reminder that there is another way to live life that does not require any drastic lifestyle or personality change. Sometimes the only reason one does not pursue more natural ways to spend time is simply that they have never been exposed to it and did not even consider it.

Also unfortunately there is no age to be immune to these pesky little devices; my mother already likes her small screens better than computers because they’re more convenient :pensive:. Though I am fortunate enough that she listens to me, at least when I keep reminding her to stop wearing her full distance correction for computer work. I have hope.

1 Like

Indeed, my 74-year old Scrabble partner is pretty addicted to hers.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter. Jake always says that you should move away from the screen and move outdoor. I think simply just moving away from the screen (so static focal distance) is much-much better.

1 Like

Ok, my new favorite hobby names are:Gongoozling and Herping :smiley: Unfortunately neither of them sound thing I would do. I would totally do gongoozling, but unfortunately there are no canals (or natural water which used for shipping) near.

3 Likes

The list is incomplete! Where’s the “compulsive license plate reading”??? Category: Endurance / outdoor… :crazy_face:

4 Likes

These are the kind of licence plates I get to read outdoors. :grinning:

6 Likes

The young ones here are very curious and come right up to the fence to see the woman and the dog passing.

2 Likes

Right, you were better off watching where you put your feet. :laughing:

Ok hobbies! I make dolls, I knit (mainly with a knitting machine) and I sew. All of these things include using near vision quite a lot. But at least - I do not use a screen. But I walk everyday outside - also a kind of hobby? 5-6 km every time. Used to run a lot. Loved running but my legs like walking better nowdays. And I have kind of got used to walking now instead of running but it took me about a year or so.

6 Likes

Well, reading about it, yeah, but doing it is less up close than screens. You get your work too close to your eyes and you’ll have woodchips and sawdust in uncomfortable places. Only a few fiddly tasks like dovetails and inlays require looking very closely, and those are way beyond my skill level.

1 Like

Guru dolls? Could be in the merch section! :smiley:

3 Likes

Another doll knitter here. :grinning:

2 Likes

Doll making ! If I knew I’d find the hobby that was missing from my life on this forum, I would have joined earlier! :wink:

3 Likes