Winter Experience by Latitude (Please share!)

I’m still having what might be winter issues. This got me thinking: how about gathering some winter experiences together with the latitude you spent winter at? Good, bad, neutral, whatever comes to mind. If it’s really the dark and cold winters causing a problem, we should see a strong relation, where the more extreme latitudes have more problems. In addition, we can use weatherspark.com to look at seasonal solar energy curves for everyone’s location. (You can find this as the last graph on a location’s report page.)

I’ll begin: I clearly have winter improvement issues, at 48°N, with a lowest solar power of 1 kWh/(d*m²) in December. (I’ve been in Munich for most of winter, and a bit further north for a few weeks.)

Data Summary

This section is being edited in as results show up. See the legend below for what the columns mean.

Lat   Low   DoC  Source (Additional Info)
========================================================================
 60°N  0.2    -    Panu
 56°N  0.3    0    daniel
 55°N  0.4    0 ?  SickOfMyopia (new user, stagnant)
 52°N  0.6    -    Laurens
 52°N  0.6    0    Emmy (presbyopia improvement?)
 51°N  0.7    0    Conny
 50°N  0.8    0    ducktalesfan
 51°N  0.7    0    Tii_Chen
 48°N  1.0    -    eagle-eyes
 48°N  1.0    -    Varakari
 47°N  0.9    0    nonanthebarbarian (Reddit)
 47°N  1.1    0    gil.vegliach
 47°N  1.3    0    Sandra
 46°N  1.4    0    Sisatrom
 45°N  1.5    +    Franjo
 44°N  1.3    + ?  deibreik (new user, complicated backstory)
 42°N  1.3    -    Bhampson (very cold winter, rarely outside)
 42°N  1.7    -    (anonymous)
 42°N  1.6    0 ?  Bigkittyqueen (new user, stalled after initial drop)
 41°N  1.7    0+?  claire_szeto (less outdoor time in winter)
 40°N  1.7    -    Merlot3 (very cold winter, rarely outside)
 40°N  1.7    +    myst
 34°N  2.9    +    julia
 33°N  2.9    0+   itamar
  • Lat: Latitude
  • Low: Lowest daily average solar energy in kWh/(d*m²)
  • DoC: Estimated direction of spherical refractive change, where + denotes myopia improvement, - denotes myopia worsening, and 0+ denotes slowed progress.
  • Source: Who reported it

Question marks denote uncertainty, which can be from the data itself or from me being unsure how to best encode a given report.

8 Likes

I think I’ve had a bad winter. I started EM in the summer, and have had some success. However I’ve also been writing my master’s dissertation this season, which has also had a negative impact. I’ve had improvement over summer, but no improvement this winter.

I live in Scotland, at about 56°N . Reading the mentioned graph, my lowest solar power is 0.3kWh in December.

1 Like

I’m at latitude 52⁰N, the lessened lighting is affecting me profoundly as well. No gains since autumn, so I’m exactly where I was when I recorded my EM video. When the sun is out and the sky is clear I still get good vision and good results, but I’m at a standstill or even regressed a little like what you’ve got going on, you really aren’t alone with this.

3 Likes

I’m at 45.9 degrees North. Short days and very cloudy mostly. So it’s almost like twilight on a lot of days. I’m completely stalled out, also. But I know from the last couple of years of myopia improvement that things will start improving when the days get longer and especially when it gets nice enough to really start spending time outside. You know, without getting frostbite and hypothermia in about 10 minutes.

1 Like

I live in Central NJ at 40° N. latitude. The closest city on the weatherspark link is New York City where the lowest average daily incident shortwave solar energy during December is 1.7 kWh on December 23. However, I must be the odd ball here because it’s actually easier for me to take a 30 to 40 minute break during my work day for distance active focus in the middle of winter than in the summer. I don’t have to worry about excessive heat, insects and perspiration perfuming the office environment when I get back. I am a night owl, rise late and work late so that even in the summer it’s dark when I get home. I switched to a new reduced prescription last November and I think I’m starting to see improvement even with just a midday walk, but it is touch and go at this stage. I easily regress if I don’t at least have my midday break and look out the window for distance active focus a few minutes at a time throughout the day or it’s an intense staring-at-the-computer day.

1 Like

Interesting! I hope some more people chime in, but with this small sample so far, it seems spot-on predictive.

@myst, I think this isn’t so odd. Looking at New Jersey climate, this isn’t what I’d call an especially dark winter anymore. I have to wait until February to get the kind of brightness you have in December. Daniel and Laurens have it even worse! For all of us, 1.7 kWh is still a bit away. Sisatrom reached it only about a week ago.

I also aked this on Reddit, and user nonanthebarbarian added that “I Live in Seattle. The winters are tough for vision improvement. (…)” This is 47°N, with brightness similar to what I have.

Let’s see if we can get some more opinions. I have edited a data summary into the OP, see the table above.

1 Like

I’m at 46.5° N. The lowest solar power is 1.3 kWh in December.
I feel I’ve hit a plateau since last autumn. No real gains, but at least my vision is not regressing. It’s mostly cloudy with less light even during the day. The days are short, so no possibility to do some AF in daylight before and after work time (I try to do it at lunchtime). I just don’t know for sure if I’m plateauing because of winter time or because it’s really tricky to get rid of the very last diopter and it takes more time between each reduction, whatever the season :thinking:

1 Like

I’m also at 48°N here in Vienna with the lowest solar power of 1kWh in December and yes it affects my vision, it got worse :roll_eyes:

(A bit off topic here:
There were other issues going on like I wrote in your troubleshooting thread - constructions at the building with no possibility to practice active focus out the window and another thing that I didn´t mention there: very bad sleep for about 3 months and a lot of anger with new neighbours in the apartment above me. So when this issue was resolved, after one week of good sleep my vision jumped back to the better a little bit)

but there is still the lack of light very noticeable

1 Like

I live at 44°N and the lowest solar power is 1.5 kWh in December. Before I started EndMyopia, I used to hate winter, because my eyesight was terrible. But last summer I’ve discovered Endmyopia and I’ve changed my habits. Now I sleep at least 8 hours and go outside at least 1 hour and I’m more active. So, I feel full of energy. I also realized that I shouldn’t only be waiting for the summer to feel better. Because if I don’t think that I’m feeling bad, I’m feeling good. My eyes also benefit from it. I’m constantly improving since summer and I’ve never thought that, it would be possible to keep progressing over the winter.

1 Like

I reside at 55° North and the lowest solar power is 0.4 kWh on December 20th. Right now, the solar power is at about 0.8 kWh. Since the day I started my vision improvement in earnest on December 11th, 2018, there have been only 4 times that I’ve seen the sunshine through the clouds. 2 of those times the total time the sun shined was maybe around 30 minutes per day. The other two days were when the sun was shining from 9:30 am till 3:30 pm with some occasional clouds interspersed.

I can’t report any objective, nor subjective improvement in my vision yet. Nor can I report any deteriorations. It has remained pretty much the same over the last 5 weeks. My blur adaptation might be confounding my results to some degree since I’ve been blur adapted for over 10 years. I’m getting my first ever glasses after a few days to reprogram my brain to see the world in clarity (normalized clarity :smiley: ) again.

1 Like

60°N, southern Finland, lowest solar power around 0.2 kwH.

Things were still good in October, November stalled everything and December was just trying to minimize the damage (actually slipping back a bit). Same thing last year, although I only have records starting November. Seeing your cm get worse is not exactly the most motivating way to start.

Shouldn’t complain too much though, we have it easy down here. In the northern parts of Finland the sun never rises at all for about two months, I really can’t imagine living like that. Just a couple of days ago there was a news bit about the polar night being over for this winter even in the northmost villages.

2 Likes

Zurich, 47.4 N lat, 1.1 kWh min solar power.

I have had issues with eye strain from Oct. I correlate them with the start of a new job and much more intense reading (reading code) but there might be other causes. I’m still troubleshooting the issue.

1 Like

Huh! 12 responses, and the two without problems have the lowest latitude.

Even given the low sample, this is a surprisingly strong relation. And all four regressions happened in the upper half so far.

At 34 deg N latitude, and lowest daily solar energy is 2.9 kWh. No issues as far as I can tell, and I haven’t made any notable adjustments to my outdoor time compared to summer. But I also recently restarted the program after a hiatus.

1 Like

50.933 - The lowest average daily incident shortwave solar energy during December is 0.7 kWh on December 22

I wanted to chime in, that yeees, it’s the light. But, right now, having stepped up from my too early reduction, things are improving again!

So maybe, there is an effect: Normaluzed become too weak in autumn. If you don’t correct this by going up, you’ll experience winter-trouble. If you do and manage to spend lunch outside, you can still progress through winter?

Also, just brought a hygrometer to the office. 28-32% humidity, way too low. I brought it because I feel like there’s nor air, but it must influence vision, too. So, gonna bring more plants, am putting bowls with water on the heating…

2 Likes

I’m going to count you as yes, but no regression, since you stagnated in the two darkest months.

Congratulations for your returned improvement! As for going up with the correction, I can’t tell if it helped, but I found no way to get any shortening in all of winter so far, so I’m not sure if it can reliable counter the darkest conditions. In any case, the dark season is ending now, a bit earlier or later for everyone depending on weather. It’s been dark here until yesterday, but today’s sunlight might even make it above the 2 kWh mark. Anyway, without more data, it’s hard to tell whether your stepping up would also have led to improvement in the darkest days.

I’m really curious if improvement will return for more people in the next weeks. We’re entering the time with the biggest relative rise in daily solar energy.

1 Like

Just north of the 45th parallel in Michigan. It definitely is harder to see clearly (at a summer-like level) in the winter, but it’s possible when I’m having a very good day. I think it’s more the increase in cloudy days than the actual shortness of the days that hurts my vision personally. The snow is both a pro and a con, as the white landscape brightens the entire sky and makes clear vision/AF easier, but it’s also somewhat gloomy and of course, when it’s cold and snowy harder to get outside as often.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting!

I wouldn’t know how to encode your case into the table though, since this isn’t indicative of how your eyes might be changing; also, you are a bit of a special case, since you might technically count as an emmetrope. These changes are probably dominated just by the immediate brightness (or darkness) affecting vision, rather than biological changes, so I won’t interpret them one way or the other.

1 Like

I started EM in December (Dec 6?), so I have no idea what my improvement may look like during the spring/summer time. From December until now, I have improved much faster than I would have expected based on Jake’s posts and others’ experiences.

43.7N 1.3 kWh NO?

2 Likes

Latitude 40.0 North, There is a polar vortex coming in like 8 hours or something. It is going to be 2 degrees fahrenheit overnight today, high of 14 degrees tomorrow. Seven degrees overnight tomorrow. I live in densely packed suburbs and only dog walkers seem to go outside in the winter. And only briefly. There really is no one out there. I notice when I feel stressed I do not want to go outside. This must be a pattern from when I was a child. Awareness is the first step towards change I guess. If the temp is above 30 degrees I will go out for a walk. Not if it is windy though!! Vision has pulled back a little. I am spending time looking way out in the distance out of the window. I am working on the 20/20/20 rule at work. 20 minutes closework, 20 seconds look 20 feet away, When I first looked at the distance today it was blurry then improved. Stimulus!!!

4 Likes