With glasses + without glasses = fast improvement

i have seen that when i stay without glasses for sometime and then put my glasses on i find AF more easy and i have better eyesight. so i think putting off my glasses for sometime makes my vision clearer and AF more easy when i put on my glasses. do any of u have the same ? i have seen some utubers like @NottNott not using glasses while making vdos but in the whole EM website i hve never found a line where it is mentioned to not wear glasses when u dont need them( for high myopia ) do we have to wear glasses all the time ? like for closeup we r wearing diifs & for dist we are wearing norms . s does that mean we should never consider putting off our glasses even for a short period of time ?

That one is literally just to look better though, I’m always wearing diffs or norms except when I’m sleeping. This won’t make your eyes improve faster either, there’s no reason for it to, if anything it’ll make things slightly worse.

1 Like

Most likely you just develop clinical blur adaptation hence you see better. It’s not real improvement.

1 Like

I think you might be right. Jake does talk about doing a “zero diopter reset” before switching to a weaker pair of normalized glasses, by going without glasses for as long as you can stand it, before putting on your new normalized. That way the extra clarity that the new glasses provide is supposed to be appreciated more. Instead, if you just switch from your old glasses to the new weaker ones, you feel like you’re suddenly seeing much worse. It’s a psychological thing… And I think I’ve read somewhere that it’s also advised to take a walk without glasses now and then and focus on peripheral vision. So I think there is definitely something to be said for taking them off now and then and just experiencing your natural vision (in a safe setting where this doesn’t entail any safety risks of course).
Personally I don’t wear glasses when I’m hanging around the house and not doing anything that requires perfectly clear vision. I still need to wear my differentials when working on the computer, in order to keep a good posture. And I wear my normalized when watching TV and outdoors, to practice AF. But yes, there are always opportunities to take them off and simply enjoining your natural (and hopefully continuously improving) vision. I don’t know whether this will lead to faster improvement, but I can tell you that I personally have been improving somewhat faster then the average until now. So maybe not always wearing glasses has been contributing factor. At any rate I don’t think there’s any harm in it if you don’t overdo it. I certainly haven’t become blur adapted yet.

1 Like

how much time did it take u to go from -3.25 to -1.50? @mbassano

I started seriously doing EM in April 2021 after finally finding AF after about 3 months. But before that I was doing the Bates method from January 2021 on, which also meant wearing no glasses most of the time. In that period I also started to make progress. As for -1.50… That is obviously not my true diopter at the moment. I just recently reduced my normalized to -1.50, and I think my true diopters (as the optometrist would measure them; unconfirmed though) would probably be between -2.00 / -1.75 and -2.25 / -1.75. Anyway, if you count the 3 months of doing the Bates method, I’ve been doing natural vision improvement for about 10 months now, and I’m very satisfied about my progress so far. :grin:

About the topic, it’s impossible to be wearing our glasses all the time, unless you do lasik. We are not wearing our glasses during our sleep. For me, showering also is another activity that I do not wear glasses. This activity might not be counted for those who wear contact lens. Thus, to wear or not to wear only matters when it affects your livelihood, which is most likely your work. If you can earn money without glasses for a living, then you don’t need your glasses. However, I’m not sure about the improvement though. Do we wear glasses to improve our eyesight? Please discuss this topic. I find wearing glasses very unnatural, and can cause painful sensation sometimes to our temple after wearing them for a long time. Since I don’t drive, now I will rarely wear my glasses. Silly or not, no one knows.

This is true and about 20 minutes in the morning everyday is ok too. But it is important to not over do it, we should always be mindful of blur adaptation as @halmadavid pointed out. Also high myopes in particular need to be mindful of strain here, so it is often more recommended to do these resets with diffs for them.

100% normal for newbies, almost certainly not because of your not wearing correction. People new to the method almost always “improve” by up to 30% in the first 3-6 months, after which things slow down.

1 Like

@Tidus, I think it depends a great deal on the strength of your glasses. Someone with low myopia can obviously function better without any glasses than a person with high myopia.
And, like I said before, you wear your normalized glasses in order to be able to do active focus during distance vision. When wearing no glasses at all that’s very hard in my experience. So yes I’d say we definitely wear them to improve our eyesight. But it’s not the glasses themselves that lead to improvement, but the constant practice of AF at a distance, Can we improve without wearing any glasses at all? Maybe. According to Bates it’s certainly possible. But I think it would be much harder and much more uncomfortable, since you would be living in blur constantly. I like to go without glasses when possible, but I also very much like to see clearly… :wink:

2 Likes

ok, but don’t you think that glasses is so heavy. It feels very heavy to me now.

@Tidus Depends on the glasses I guess. Mine aren’t very heavy and therefore don’t bother me all that much. Which doesn’t mean I’m not looking forward to not needing them anymore… :wink:

2 Likes

From your first post I understand you started from around -3D
Once the overcorrection is dropped from your prescription and some ciliary spasm is released that can drop to around -2.5D.
That is about a correction that allows you to have clear vision up to 42cm and slightly blurry for an additional 10-15cms. So I’d say in your case when doing “autopilot” chores indoors it should be OK not to wear glasses if it feels good. E.g. in the morning, during meals, etc.
It will not improve your vision as such. However, if you do too much forceful focusing without glasses it can halt your improvement because of the additional strain. I.e. don’t walk around outdoors correction free wanting hard to focus on signs, etc.
But if you simply enjoy relaxed eyes while you don’t need totally clear vision and no force is applied then it can add to the eyes’ relaxation, and support (not cause) improvements.

2 Likes