Would you quit using your smartphone? 📲

Heya!

Sooo, I’ve just been observing my habits and came to the conclusion: I should really quit using my smartphone! :joy:

What devices do you guys own and use? And would you quit the phoney?

I own a 24inch iMac - from 2007. My iPhone 4s is from 2011. The newest shit I own is an iPod (2016?). I never got what tablets are supposed to be good for.

So, as my phone and computer will probably need replacement soon, I’m just wondering what to do.

At home, I like to check in here with a coffee in the mornings - that’s usually with my phone or iPod. I really like that old iPhone because it’s so small - which since EM I know is no good for my eyes.

I only use my computer for watching movies, which I rarely do, or looking somethings up on the Internet, when I know it’s something longer.

So probably, I should get some laptop that I can use while having coffee in the kitchen (already have a wireless keyboard which I can use when reaching low myopia).

That way, iPod would still be cool for music/taking pictures on the go, and also like to use the notes function very much.

And uh, what about that phone? Part of me really wants to get rid of it. There’s still one of those dumb-phones lying around here, so I would have a mobile. Most stuff you use it for can actually be replaced by planning ahead and use internet at home. Oh, and then there’s those messaging apps…

And then, some internet banking already requires apps for your TAN (password stuff), and it often just is quite handy… (Realising you’ve lost track when hiking in the middle of nowhere and google maps leading you back… Naviki.org is a great bicycle navigator which, even though it added some adventures, has led me successfully to Hungary and through the black forrest). And I use messaging with friends mostly - even before EM they knew I don’t like lengthy mobile conversations - either gimme a call, come visit or text me when & where u wanna meet.

So, thank you for watching me think. :wink:
I guess I’ll get a laptop then, keeping the iMac as screen for movies and me from using the phone at home (hopefully).
Though I really think a laptop in the kitchen is a bit uncomfortable. Not sure yet!

What about you? Could you live without your smartphone? How did EM change your digital device habits? Did you sell your tablet maybe?

Let me know & have a nice weekend :heavy_heart_exclamation:

PS: I can actually type on my mobile without looking at it…

8 Likes

Sure I could live without my smartphone. But do I want to? The answer is no. And neither should you. All one requires to counteract the screen-induced negative stress on your eyes is good habits. There is absolutely no need to gimp yourself by doing away with a very useful tool that is a smartphone. But it is just that, a tool, and it by no means should consume your life to the point where you and your smartphone switch roles. :smile:

After I discovered EM, whenever I am looking at my smartphone, I tend to look away into the distance way more often than I do on my computer now and way, WAY more often than I used to before EM (which was almost never, with >4 hours sessions of staring at the screen, which now never happen). Basically, EM made me use my smartphone a lot less for things that I can very easily, and more comfortably, use my PC for instead.

6 Likes

Verizon always offers a tablet when I get a new smartphone but I’ve only used mine to locate my lost smartphone :joy:

An IT tech said to use one device for surfing (smartphone) and another device to access personal email, banking and password sign-on accounts (laptop). I’ve gotten into the bad habit of checking emails and Meow on my smartphone. Using my smartphone for phone calls only would be a wonderful disciplinary action to improve vision habits :wink::ok_hand:

2 Likes

True too…my must-haves are GPS, Calendar and Notepad…my life is lost without these.

2 Likes

I use my smartphone little enough that I only have to charge it about twice a week, where the biggest consumers are standby and how the screen stays on when the timer runs for Mark Lauren workouts. So I think I’m pretty safe when it comes to phone use. :slightly_smiling_face:

What I stopped using is my tablet, one of these Note series with a digitizer pen. In the past, I took notes or sketched stuff on it. It’s getting old anyway, and I now have an external pen tablet for my computer, which does the job at least when I have a computer available. Since vision improvement, I stopped thinking about getting a new tablet. It’s a bit sad, since this was really handy to have, but since it’s not essential, I don’t mind giving up on it.

Computer use is the main thing for me, and I don’t think that’s going to change any time soon. I can get desktop screen distance, which accounts for the majority of the time, to stay above 80 cm fairly reliably. This way, at least I can avoid the really low distances.

2 Likes

My smartphone is very old, got it in 2010, so many sites don’t work on it and I’ve never tried to log in here- it would drive me crazy I think :crazy_face:
I really mainly use it for calling and short messages (not a lot as I hate typing on the phone) and just sometimes checking emails. Instead of GPS, Calendar and Notepad I still use a map, a calendar in paper and paper and pencil :grin: very oldfashioned :grin:
My main device is a laptop and I really try to use it not more than one or two hours/day (I’m not working on the screen- so I should improve much faster :roll_eyes:)
I also own a tablet which is quite handy for example when visiting my family in my hometown, but I don’t use it at home.

1 Like

Ah, gym-buddy, I’m so impressed! :muscle:
( you know, he also has an app with all programs and timers, and it’s great though I don’t wanna miss the book & don’t wanna lure you into more phone time!)

At least, this one makes sense! :joy:

Uh, did he say why…?

You are sooo right… maybe I’m gonna name it ‘tool’ now…

So that’s like one of those old phones :smiley:

Yeah, I guess I wanna keep it and only use the internet when really necessary/on the go. At home, a laptop should do.

Still curious what others do! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

sigh

I use mine a ton for maps (traveling a lot), and Airbnb bookings, and Agoda hotel room searches, and to tether my laptop to Internet, and to check the wind for kitesurfing. And to grumble at the girl for getting lost on the way to everywhere.

And pictures! So many pictures.

I’ve been testing using an Apple watch to get me away from picking the phone up so often. You know how it is, you get some notification and next thing you know, it’s 30 minutes later and you’re still glued to the screen.

(that or it’s all just an excuse to buy more gadgets)

The watch thing is sort of working though, it’s deferred at least a fair bit of the stopping and messaging and stuff. Most of the time a message doesn’t warrant immediate action and just glancing and seeing what it is beats having to pull out the phone.

But yea … going back to no smartphone would be difficult while also being a vagabond. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tii…supposedly surfing the net increases chance of exposing device to malware, spyware, viruses… recommended second device for personal stuff esp email since every password reset is sent to email.

1 Like

Fantastic post, @Tii_Chen!

Tablet… I remember we used to have one at home. Where? Missing it? I guess you got the answer. :joy:

I was impressed by how old your smartphones are. Maybe that’s because you are using good brands. I enjoy having Chinese brands, but the one I have not is not updating from Android 5, haha. Soon a new one. What for? To take pics when I don’t have the reflex camera with me. Of course also the basic things, but now much more careful about eyes.

Old laptop? As you said, to watch films it’s good. We connect our laptop to tv via hdmi wire. This way we have a more smart thing than a smart-tv. There you can really choose and do what you want. Don’t you have a tv?

Ah, and I guess you don’t own a table computer. I have a new one and I just tried Linux on it. :scream::scream::scream: Whaaat? Yes, Linux. I didn’t know anything about Linux, so why did I try that? For some reasons:

1- If you are LeMeower you are radical, that means you like changes in your life. So why not? Moreover Linux allows you to take control or your computer, not like other operative systems.
2- This will take away temptations of having nice games to play
3- I hate computer time, but I needed somewhere reliable to keep pics, videos, and why not, a simple interface to get internet. It’s fast, simple and I don’t need it for many other things. Life is out there!

If you buy a new smartphone you will realize it’s at the minimum… 2cm longer than before. DOn’t get depressed!

2 Likes

Since I started Endmyopia, I have reduced the usage of my phone and I feel full of energy, because I don’t spend so much time sitting in one position. The most time I use my phone during the week is LeMeow. At weekends I sometimes watch some videos on YouTube, but I try not to fall into temptation of recommendations that are trying to make me stay as long as I can using one app.
When I’m on holidays, sometimes I can spend a whole day without my phone.

2 Likes

I think smart phones are probably one of the most fantastic and useful inventions. It’s mind boggling how many functions that little thing does so well and I couldn’t live without it. But it has always bothered me how beholden people are to them. People are walking down the street totally oblivious to the world around them because their whole world is in that little box. They are the leading cause of car accidents. People try to use them while they’re snow boarding and biking for Christ sake. And it really drives me crazy to see them out at restaurants and concerts. Sometimes I think people compulsively turn to them when there’s any sort of lul. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water, just keep things in balance.

That off my chest, I try not to use mine visually for externeded periods. I use voice dictation a lot, and do texting on my big computer screen. For evening surfing and travel, I use my 12.9” iPad Pro. It’s a little bulky, but the screen is a lot less taxing.

2 Likes

I think it’s more about the extent to which we use. I own some computers a phone and a tablet that I never use. I need the phone for YouTube/ music in the morning and at night. Navigation at times.
Banking
Checking on to here
Googling stuff
Texts calls the stuff phones are normally used for
News
Shopping and coupon apps

But I feel like for me the thing that got me here was continuous nonstop screen use at night with no lighting as I used to play computer games til 4 in the morning and I was that way with mobile games too before I stopped

All my current phone use is read a bit then stop

4 Likes

Sure, totally quit, cold turkey, piece of cake, any time … because … I have yet to buy my first smartphone :slight_smile: After 25 years working with the latest computer hardware and software all day every day it’s still hard for me to take smartphones seriously.

4 Likes

I don’t think that I could get rid of my smartphone because the things I use it for are quite convenient to have in one small form factor: calling, texting, taking pictures, calendar, alarm, and keeping short memos. I don’t have to have a phone to achieve these aims, but it does make my life easier.

That said, I think I’ve reached a happy medium of how I use my devices. I have a smartphone, a desktop computer, and a laptop. I limit my smartphone use to short bursts for no longer than a minute looking at the screen at a time. Sometimes I’ll break the rule and read news or something, but I’m much more cognizant of my smartphone usage because of EM and generally remember to get off my phone after a maximum of 5 minutes.

For most things,using my desktop PC makes the most sense. If I can do it on my PC, I’ll prefer to do it there.

I had my laptop before I got my desktop PC, but ever since I got my PC, I don’t really use my laptop as much anymore.

As much as I value my eyesight, I really don’t see myself giving up my electronics any time soon. I am more than happy to limit my time on them, as I have been doing. In fact, I think I could probably limit my time on them more, but that’s a work in progress :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another thought this isn’t me but regularly showed up on a game I used to play

https://images.app.goo.gl/eUCaBxmhs3wgLVg86

My record was 6 hours. I think one thing that slowed my progression was that I suspected a link bt closeup and rarely used my phone with glasses on. Same w pc gaming
Saddest thing I saw yesterday was I was this kid sitting on a bench I guess while his parents were shopping. Thick glasses eyes glued to his phone and not at a healthy body weight imo. I’d guess he’s 7 or 8

3 Likes

I spent two months without a smartphone last year after my phone broke. I did feel less connected to the wider world which had some benefits (less anxiety from not seeing endless news updates, longer periods of concentration when studying and working) but there were downsides (missing last minute changes in social plans, experiencing the bafflement when I asked strangers for directions - no-one does this nowadays!). Also there was a displacement effect as I switched to using my laptop and tablet more.

In the end I got a new smart phone and slowly returned to using it for hours a day. I’ve recently started conciously aiming for a maximum of 1 hour a day on my smartphone which is mostly used responding to messages (unless time critical I do these in a block twice a day), looking up maps, and other life admin (online banking, 2FA). To prevent displacement I try to limit my internet surfing by restricting my news consumption/browsing to a few articles at lunch and going for more walks/cycle rides/social events. I’ve created an internal decision tree which I now use to decide how all the new time gets spent e.g. before I pick up my phone or laptop have I: exerciced, been outdoors, meditated, had as conversation a friend/family member, played sport etc. The most noticeable impact of this approach has been the time it has freed up and the improvements to my general mood.

I found that going cold turkey was too hard, for me at least. Having a variety of fun offline alternatives to using my phone (social, community, sports, hobbies) has been more helpful in cutting down my smartphone use to an amount which makes owning the technology worthwhile. In other words, I’m finding it easier to change my behaviour by having something better to go towards than focusing on what I am giving up (social media pictures of people’s food/cats/babies or the repetitive cycle of outrage in the news).

7 Likes

I love this summary very much! :joy::heavy_heart_exclamation::+1:

And what you suggest seems to work for lots of people.
I think I’ll copy that

sounds really helpful, so thanks! :+1:

1 Like

Love this! …more people need to do this, not only as it applies to time but can be anything like budgeting your paycheck or in conversations like doing “comm checks” with the person you’re speaking with especially in business. Many misunderstandings can be avoided when we check and double-check what’s being communicated like a meeting place or time

1 Like