YATFAFT - Yet Another "Tips For Active Focus" Thread ;)

yeah I know there are tonnes of threads on this, but there are tonnes of types of people and people still have trouble finding it, so maybe ANOTHER new perspective (mine and my links :wink: ) will help.

One thing you need to know though - having been reading this forum for a while and experiencing it myself - many people get new floaters after starting active focus - people (like me) tend to get it checked out by opthalmologists and mostly get the feedback that it’s no problem just can be annoying. No explanation for this, other than maybe using the eye in new ways frees up some vitreous material or something…? anyway…

some thoughts on active focus:

AF is one of those things where for some people like me it’s so obvious that I know when I’m experiencing it. But for some others it’s subtle and they actually already got it but keep seeking for something dramatic.

I’m lucky enough to have experienced drastic temporary focus improvement up close but often all AF is is you looking at some slightly, or for some people quite blurry text (some people need more stimulus) and for me the trick is not to blink for a while, and you will notice it clears up and you can see edges sharp that you couldn’t before.

Try not to blink too soon else you might reset the eye that is just about to clear up that blur. As soon as you notice any small clarity improvement by staring then blinking you have found AF. Doesn’t need to be dramatic.

For some people - as Jake already posted on his blog - it helps to think of describing the blur. I personally like to think that I am “painting” the letters with my eyes - my gaze is the paintbrush - you have to cover each part of every letter.

As posted many times on this forum, if you have ciliary spasm it can be harder to get active focus working (but not impossible, as I found myself). So, the first thing, if you cannot get it, is always to get your differentials, as Jake suggests and use them for a month.

You might experience some stinging when trying to AF, because your ciliary spasm is getting in the way of your eye trying to focus. It might tear up. But after some blinking this should go away, with the ciliary spasm. You generally know you have ciliary spasm by e.g. looking into the distance with your normalised or naked eyes and not being able to look for too long before blinking - your eye cannot focus well - you can almost feel a resistance to trying to focus into the distance for any length of time. Once you resolve ciliary spasm you will be able to look much longer into the distance without any feeling of strain or needing to blink after a few short seconds…

Anyway, back to AF, for me, as I mentioned, the key was not blinking too soon when trying to clear up blur.

Once you have it, you might not get it again for days. Then the gaps will become fewer. Eventually you’ll be able to do it almost any time (when you don’t have ciliary spasm). You won’t need to think about describing the blur or painting letters with your eyes, you’ll just have to look for some seconds at the blurry text. When you get better, you can start on other objects, mostly edges, posts, places with high contrast or even counting leaves on trees - anything where your brain knows what it SHOULD look like and can correct the slight blur.

Another thread that might help:

And another

and as a last resort, some crazier method might work haha

13 Likes

Hi Lajos! I am still searching for AF and currently testing your method which is in line with Mark’s method. I am doing this because when doing Jake’s relaxing but conscious staring with natural blinking, my vision slowly blurs away and will return after I blink or when I glance to another object and back to the text. During the attempt to AF, text only clears up back to a certain degree lower than initial clarity after blinks and after glancing. I noticed that my sight is best at the start or after I have taken a break. I can tell because at the start of close up AF, I can slightly read the time on the bottom right of my screen and i cannot read it after around 5 minutes. In doing your staring without blinking method, the text also slowly blurs away, follow by the sting to the eyes. I noticed that the sting lessens if I do not stare with eyes wide open but rather the same relaxing stare and I can hold it about twice as long. Once my eyes start to get watery, the text slightly clears up, but still at some degrees lower than the initial, and I can feel a lesser sting on the eyes. It’s only after I blink that the text clears up more than the initial and it can last around 15 seconds even with blinks and my eyes has more moisture than normal. Then it goes back to normal. I then repeat doing this 4-5 times and rest. I find that my eyes does not get red, which may be the right way. In line with this, I have some questions that I hope you can find time to answer.

1. Are these experiences on the right track with the stare without blinking method? if no, which part did I get wrong?
  2. Does AF occur before or after blinking?
  3. In your other post, you mentioned that you did Mark’s method of rocking back and forth for 4-5 days and then you were able to simplify the process just by staring. Was there a change in how watery you eyes got and how much sting your eyes got?

Thank you

1 Like

I have started practising AF with my uncorrected left eye on astigmatic ghosting only. This sets in at 19cm. I can slide my card out to 22 cm before the main image starts to blur. I can’t do much with AF at this distance as there is no way I can get the ghost image to combine with the well separated main image… But I can slide my card out to 20cm and wait patiently for my eye to combine the two images which are still very close at this point. I doubt that the mechanism for achieving AF on astigmatic ghosting can have anything to do with the ciliary muscle. So here too the work is being done in the visual cortex.

My degree of astigmatism in the left eye has definitely decreased considerably in the past 11 months. I wonder how the shape of the cornea can be affected by AF.

Stinging is probably ciliary spasm. How long you been using differentials? Yes before the blink it can get blurrier as an unmoving eye means no new information and your brain starts to filter out the signal. The blink resets it

This sounds to me like you already found AF. OK some people might argue that it’s just the extra moisture acting as a lens but nobody will ever prove it one way or another. So yeah for me this means you have experienced active focus

So yeah

1. Yes for the 2nd quoted part
  2. After blinking. This is inline with what Jake teaches. I just find I need a longer time of not blinking before the blink to tell my eye and brain what it is I’m doing I. E. Focus there! Clear that blur up!
  3. As I write above I think the more ciliary spasm the more stinging and watering. If I have done a lot of close up even with differentials, as I tend to lean in I get the sting again until it clears up. I think the stinging is your eye pushing through the ciliary spasm but it’s just my theory
1 Like

Is this good to put here? https://wiki.endmyopia.org/wiki/Community:A_Million_Ways_To_Find_Active_Focus

You mean a link or a copy? Should be with the name of whoever wrote it I. E me in this case :grin:

But I will make a wiki account so can do it myself

1 Like

That should all be set up automatically for you when you write the article :slight_smile:

After achieving AF, your next step should be that you can see your line without AF?

Your next step should be to read up on the basics

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply! This clarified so many things for me. I just did this method for my afternoon outside distance and closeup AF and I found that I can last an hour doing AF, and then most of my tear fluids have been used and dried up. I can see the decline of visual clarity of AF from the first stare to my last stare, which may be correlated to the amount of tear fluids being released. This is my first time doing this, so I guess my body is still new to the experiences. When i did it with my screen, I can read an extra 9cm distance!

I can feel this as well, and I wait until the sting becomes unbearable before I blink. The prolonged duration may be caused by the increased endurance from the prior sting. I did 3 sessions of AF on different time periods in the afternoon and evening (in the afternoon outdoors, staring at my Snellen after I have rested on bed with my eyes closed, and now while typing this which is after dinner) and I still have to feel the sting at the start of each. I think my dry eyes have to do with that :frowning:

Other than those, I feel extra pumped to doing this more and learn more! I cannot wait to reach your level!

1 Like

Hi Lajos,
I am interested in what you are saying about stinging. I have tried Mark Warren’s techniques for a while now, and I notice after a good amount of stinging it becomes more and more difficult to trigger. This leads me to suspect that if your eyes are “sting-able,” then you possibly have ciliary spasm. So theoretically clearing all of the stinging would potentially make it easier for active focus to happen.

1 Like

Yeah but if you read above you will see I already said I think stinging is to do with ciliary spasm. For both of you guys there will be a time when it doesn’t sting much or at all

1 Like

Yes, I know. I’m saying I agree with you and I think this is plausible.

1 Like

So, like I said in my other post, this was me until today. I tried Mark’s “crazy” method by placing a very colorful ball between me and my Snellen and reading the letters just above the top of the ball in my line of view. I did the swaying for a moment, but didn’t really insist on that part since AF kicked in pretty hard regardless. I managed to clear the entire 20/20 line from 6m with no lenses (indoors in low light). Oh and no stinging. Tbh, I’m not even sure if the colorful ball had much to do with it. All I know is I FOUND ACTIVE FOCUS (and now I’m sure)! Thanks @Lajos for the nudge :wink:

1 Like

This might not be needed. As soon as you can feel the eye activating, maybe by a slight sting, you might be able to blink and still clear up the blur afterwards. Guess you have to experiment.

1 Like

The reason it’s difficult is because of the possibility of it being a contact lens effect.

Added another link in the first post

yeah but I don’t think so, If you can continue to AF after you are past the stinging and tearing then it’s not lens effect. YOu can test it: after your eye has dried up a bit after tearing up, see if staring and then blinking still clears it up. eventually you WILL get to a stage where you are free from most tearing

1 Like

why “here too”? For normal AF to clear up omnidirectional blur, it COULD be to do with ciliary muscle, but I agree, for fusing doubled images ,it is probably a brain thing

From what I gather from this forum and AF related video comments, almost everyone who attempts AF comes to experience stinging in their eyes when attempting AF, at least initially.

It was for me too. It was the familiar “Look at something long enough until it clears up, but at the same time, as it clears up, my eyes sting, and I have to blink, and I tear up”.
So I thought it was the tears doing the trick, so I suggested maybe that yawning was a trigger to active focus, since it triggers the tear fluids, but I’ve gotten push back on that, that it’s light refraction with the tears that imitates AF but it’s not AF.

A few weeks passed by, and I’d like to walk you through my experience, for anyone that has the time. It’s similar to what @Pixiemom describes.

1. I draw imaginary circles around whatever I want to focus at (The imaginary circle has to be small, sort of like the focus lens of a sniper. I remember, as a child, my friends making fists and looking through them, saying it makes them see better whatever they were trying to make out).
  2. I zone in into the circle, as if everything else outside doesn’t matter.
  3. And my vision starts clearing up, and the eyes sting, but I don’t tear up automatically.
    3a. If it doesn’t start clearing up after a couple seconds, I repeat steps 1 and 2, I just keep zoning in after drawing my target ‘hole/circle of focus’.
  4. The focus stays for a few seconds, and it goes away, usually until I blink. If I don’t blink too long, I start tearing up.

I remember where
What I experience when “zoning in”, is a bit like the “flow” state. You’re putting effort in, but effortlessly. My eyes focus, but still relax at the same time, albeit, the stinging still occurs more often than not.

For me, the process I just outlined consistently brings me to clear up vision, at least for a few seconds, so I can’t quite swat my experience as “random” flashes.

@Lajos suggests that there is a stage of practicing AF where no stinging will occur. That’s certainly encouraging!

4 Likes